VMware Cloud Community
jkasalzuma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update VSAN configuration taking a long time

Has anyone else experienced the "Update VSA Configuration" tasks that runs after enabling vSAN on the hosts taking a long time?

So far my tasks are running against 3 hosts and have taken 45 minutes thus far and still going. I don't remember it running this long in the beta. I am running the 5.5up1 bits on a fresh build that I wiped disks prior to rebuilding and this is a brand new 5.5up1 vCenter Appliance. There is nothing left of the beta.

It hasn't timed out after 45 minutes so I'm guessing that's a good thing.

I see no activity on the disks either so not sure if they are being zero'd or something along that line.

Any ideas? I'll update this post if something changes...

53 Replies
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Paul, you can also nest ESXi, one per VM host and do the VSAN there by changing the claim rules for the SSD. I get that it's not what you wanted, I'm in the same boat, but this method has worked for others.

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos
philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

#1 Reinstall Beta version from scratch - i can help with distributives Smiley Wink

#2 Guarantee it works

#3 You can register for Beta free with your Vmware account.

#4 Nobody tested it with achi drivers, I'am planning now.

Nested Esxi... It's like a flight simulator :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
vwade
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update regarding AHCI controller support. We are not supporting any storage controllers with a queue depth <256 for Virtual SAN, and since AHCI controllers have a queue depth of 32, they will not be supported.

0 Kudos
philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To vwade:

Nice. You say to labbers - go and buy new SAS-controllers from HCL.

I think many of them would answer to you..., some day...

NO HCL device = NO VSAN

0 Kudos
EricBrunet
Contributor
Contributor

Succsesfuly built a 3 node cluster with VSAN using 3 Intel NUC.

The AHCI SATA driver is used and previously had the same problem whit 5.5 !

https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere-beta

Hope this will help Smiley Happy

philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To

0 Kudos
EricBrunet
Contributor
Contributor

To philzy:

I used the ESXi Customizer to add the sata driver (sata-xahci-1.10-1.x86_64.vib) to the esxi beta iso.
and install my 3 NUC from that custom iso.

Did many test and no problem so far.

0 Kudos
philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi!

ESXI 5.5 update 2 released!

depping
Leadership
Leadership

philzy wrote:

Hi!

ESXI 5.5 update 2 released!

Please note, that the controller is still NOT on the HCL.

0 Kudos
Midus
Contributor
Contributor

That is great news! Time to retry that! :smileygrin:

www.midus-fx.com
0 Kudos
munozajj
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same situation....the problem was that between HA trying to upgrade vCenter agent, configure HA and update the vSAN cluster, all resource utilization was killing the hostd process. When the hostd process is not able to maintain the ESXi OS/management services because it's "hung", you'll see that very same behavior. The fix was exactly what you said....moving the ESXi hosts out of the vSAN cluster and restarding them.

0 Kudos
mattbat
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone running this now with their onboard controller and Update 2? I've got multiple Shuttle SH87R6 with 1 each Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB SSD and 1.5TB 7200RPM HDD and VSAN finally configures properly, but the performance is painful. Under any load (<100 IOPs), the latency jumps to over 1.4 seconds in VSAN Observer. Running PernixData FVP on the same setup, accelerating my Synology DS412+ iSCSI datastore I was getting ~5000 IOPs per host without saturating the queue of the controller, so the "well your onboard controller has a very short queue depth" seems like it shouldn't be the culprit.

0 Kudos
RanggaMII
Contributor
Contributor

to thread starter,

sorry for interupting your thread. hope your problem fixed soon. can you guys see my thread and give me some basic answer. i dont have to much experiance on vmware vsan. below is my thread..

Need someone to share basic knowledge VSAN design architecture

again apologies to thread started by requesting answer via your thread..

0 Kudos
philzy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have 2 problems:

1. Kingston SSDNow V300 it's а very slow ssd

2. ACHI queue depth - 32

Try to update to latest ESXi550-201410001 it has a ACHI-bug fix - VMware KB: VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch ESXi550-201410403-BG: Updates sata-ahci

My situation:

2014-11-04 01_22_35.png

SSD - UserBenchmark: Intel 530 Series 240GB SSDSC2BW240A4

0 Kudos