VMware Cloud Community
Vel_VMware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to removed "Absent VSAN SSD"

Hello,

Can any one please help me on how to remove absent vsan SSD from diskgroup.

In my case there are two physical disks got failed and it went to absent state. I am trying to remove both the disks but it says "General system error : SSD with UUID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is not healthy can not evacuate data in EvacuateAllData mode".

I was trying remove it from ESXCLI but it says "Unable to remove device : disk is not part of VSAN"

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Vel_VMware,

Are they PDL and/or only showing as UUID reference (not by naa.)?

# vdq -q

# vdq -Hi

If they are PDL/gone then check the config-status of the data Objects to determine if removing them without evacuation is safe - this can be checked via cmmds-tool short scripts or via the Health check in the Web Client under 'Data'.

If it is determined safe to remove them without migrating data off or using Ensure Accessibility (e.g. all data has been rebuilt already) then you can use the esxcli remove command but make sure you are positive that the data is in an okay state before doing this as this permanently deletes any data on these disks (and responsibility for checking this lies with you alone).

Hope this helps.

Bob

0 Kudos
Vel_VMware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Bob,

I could see UUID reference, how do I check data in web client and also can you share me the script to check it.

Though I tried to remove the disk by using esxcli remove but it says "Unable to remove device : disk is not part of VSAN"

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
juststarted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Vel_VMware,

I am not sure this will help because I myself still learning vSAN but when I tried in my environment these command works for me.

esxcli vsan storage list

esxcli vsan storage remove -u UUID

esxcli vsan storage remove -s or -d naa.600508b1001c255a82b4ce30269b64aa

For my case, actually what I did is to simulate disk failure by purposely pull it out and then later after 15 minutes plug it in then I have issue to remove or even add it back. My worst case is to remove the array and re-create the array back. Just sharing my experience.

command to view array

/opt/hp/hpssacli/bin/hpssacli ctrl slot=0  show config

Command to delete array

esxcli hpssacli cmd -q "controller slot=0 ld 2 delete forced"

Command to create array

esxcli hpssacli cmd -q "controller slot=0 create type=ld drives=1I:3:3 raid=0"

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Vel_VMware

From the Web Client:

Cluster > Monitor > vSAN > Health > Data (badgeshows as yellow if reduced availability, red if unavailable data) > Click vSAN Object Health and lower-pane shows the specifics

From a host using cmmds-tool (Config-status 7 = healthy):

# cmmds-tool find -f python | grep CONFIG_STATUS -B 4 -A 6 | grep 'uuid\|content' | grep -o 'state\\\":\ [0-9]*' | sort | uniq -c

If you have confirmed that any data that resided on that drive has been rebuilt on other drives and it is safe to remove this drive and it will not remove using the CLI, then the other option is to wipe the partitions on it via the Web Client:

Host > Configure > Storage Devices > Select device > Erast Partitions (under 'All Actions' menu)

As per my last comment - this is PERMANENT so do make sure of the situation (and the device selected!) before proceeding with this as that responsibility lies with the one performing this action.

Bob