VMware Cloud Community
KurtDePauw1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Simple Vmware Essentials Plus 3 VSAN node spread over 3 datacenters Question

Is it possible to have 3 nodes separated in 3 datacenters with VSAN ?

so every datacenters would contain

1 node

2 x 10 gbit switch

1 UPS

I have now a 3 node cluster in 1 datacenter but would like to spread them over 3 datacenters.

For me it looks the same as running them in one datacenter.

Correct ?? or what am I not seeing ???

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Kurt,

As per my reply in your other post, the above replacement of a 3-node cluster to split across sites could be acheived with a 1+1+1 ROBO cluster

This entails two sites having a single data node each and the third site contributing just a Witness Appliance (this is just a VM that is then registered as an appliance which stores all Witness components).

Provided there is RTT < 5msec between the data nodes, there should be no issue in splitting a regular 3-node cluster like this, however you will need a Standard or higher license for this (the Witness appliance does NOT consume a license though).

pg 27-28 explains this setup in more detail:

http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsan/vmware-virtual-san-6....

Bob

-o- If you found this comment useful or answer please click the 'Helpful' button and/or select as 'Answer', please ask follow-up questions if you have any -o-

0 Kudos
KurtDePauw1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This what I want to establish, so whenever a room fails the cluster keeps running

A to B.png

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

From my understanding of ROBO this is not possible as that is a two physical node cluster and a single virtual witness VM.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos