VMware Cloud Community
_BoRiS_
Contributor
Contributor

SSD disk on VSAN 7.0 HCL but not 7.0U1 or U2 ?

Hello,

How is this possible to validate SSD SATA disk for VSAN 7.0 but not for VSAN 7.0U1 or U2 ???

I have a customer with a 4 nodes vsan 6.7U3 cluster (DELL R7415 RN from end 2019).

He is blocked to VSAN 7.0 or 6.7U3 because of his SSD capacity disk that is only in HCL for VSAN 7.0 but not U2...

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=ssd&productid=41454&deviceC...

Thanks for your answer

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@_BoRiS_ , It is possible due to the fact that hardware components (specifically Controllers, NVMes, SSDs, HDDs) certified for vSAN get certified based on the version in use as this is what the hardware vendor and our HCL engineering teams are testing with.

There can be significant differences between versions (e.g. vSAN 7.0 vs 7.0 U1) that based on what features we have introduced and/or changes have been made that may have an an influence on what components need to get re-certified/re-tested.

If there is a specific hardware component that you are asking for a probable timeline of when/if this will be added to the vSAN HCL for a specific vSAN version then this query would be best addressed by the hardware vendor of said component as these are the first to test and validate this and then forward their results to our teams to further check and either approve or deny admittance.

0 Kudos
paudieo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

yep @TheBobkin  is right

Check with the vendor if they submitted this drive for certificatioon on the later vSAN releases , and we can take it from there then

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
_BoRiS_
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply

but

DELL said => look with VMware

https://www.dell.com/community/Rack-Servers/SSD-disk-on-VSAN-7-0-HCL-but-not-7-0U1-or-U2/m-p/7869725...

VMware said => look with DELL

So I'm between 2 chairs !!! :'(

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@_BoRiS_ , As I said in my initial comment, how the vSAN HCL certification process works is the hardware vendor (Dell here) performs their own testing and validation of the component in question and on the vSAN release they want to have it added to the HCL for, once they are happy with their findings they submit a certification request with our HCL engineering teams who do further testing and validation and then either pass or fail the device for addition to the HCL.

As you can see, step 1 of this is the sole duty of the hardware vendor - only they can provide any information or timeline relating to how far along they are in their side of this process (e.g. it could be in stage of: - Not tested, and don't intend to, - Already tested and and request sent to VMware, - Awaiting update/working with VMware regarding testing and/or anything that needs to be addressed from findings in test phase).

I would advise you open a case with Dell for further information relating to this as they may not be able to provide such information in a public-facing forum.