VMware Cloud Community
aneilsingh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SSD Sizing, Is more than 10percent better?

Wondering if the ratio of SSD/HDD is higher than 10% will it be used?

Is there any negative?

Is there a positive?
Will performance increase?

Pros/Cons ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aneilsingh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AH...  I missed a key word..  "minimum"

minimum 1:10 ratio of SSD capacity to HDD  - http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2013/09/09/vmware-vsphere-virtual-san-design-considerations/

It is a recommended practice to have a minimum 1:10 ratio of SSD capacity to HDD capacity in each disk group. In other words, when you have 1TB of HDD capacity, it is recommended to have at least 100GB of SSD capacity. Note that VMware’s recommendation has changed since BETA, new recommendation is:

• 10 percent of the anticipated consumed storage capacity before the number of failures to tolerate is considered

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless you already did, please read VMware vSphere Virtual SAN design considerations... which may answer most of your questions.

André

0 Kudos
aneilsingh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AH...  I missed a key word..  "minimum"

minimum 1:10 ratio of SSD capacity to HDD  - http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2013/09/09/vmware-vsphere-virtual-san-design-considerations/

It is a recommended practice to have a minimum 1:10 ratio of SSD capacity to HDD capacity in each disk group. In other words, when you have 1TB of HDD capacity, it is recommended to have at least 100GB of SSD capacity. Note that VMware’s recommendation has changed since BETA, new recommendation is:

• 10 percent of the anticipated consumed storage capacity before the number of failures to tolerate is considered
0 Kudos
Ravi_V
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AP, Thanks for this document, it is a good resource.

0 Kudos
virtualquebec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thère IS Also a good book about vsan, you should get It.

0 Kudos
jivor50
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I always had the same questions as well about minimum. Would like to be at VMworld to see about the all flash VSAN lecture.

0 Kudos