VMware Cloud Community
Zaib_Khan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SSD Disk is showing as NON-SSD in Drive type of Esxi

Hi All Experts,

I am new to Vmware VSAN exposure and have started to deploy my first VSAN environment.

I have 3 physical ESXI hosts. (Each host contains 5 Disks i.e One disk dedicated for ESXI OS, three Disk dedicated for capacity disk for VSAN and one disk is dedicated for SSD.

The problem which i am facing is that my SSD disk is showing as Non-SSD in Drive Type column of ADD Storage options. I am currently using SSD disk of size 256 GB. below is the screenshot for the reference.

pastedImage_0.png

Kindly suggests why it is showing as non SSD in drive type of Add Storage while the disk is SSD.

Waiting for the response.

Thanks.

Muhammad Amir

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Muhammad,

Don't use the Thick Client for managing or configuring vSAN - multiple features are not exposed and you will run into issues with this, use the Web Client.

If the disks are not being seen as SSD, you can mark them as Flash devices easily via this method:

Mark Storage Devices as Flash

Bob

View solution in original post

7 Replies
gulzarshaikhaus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Please follow below article. This is the default behavior

VMware Knowledge Base

TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Muhammad,

Don't use the Thick Client for managing or configuring vSAN - multiple features are not exposed and you will run into issues with this, use the Web Client.

If the disks are not being seen as SSD, you can mark them as Flash devices easily via this method:

Mark Storage Devices as Flash

Bob

Zaib_Khan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the prompt response and help,

One more thing, if i keep this device (SSD Disk) marked as Non-SSD, then will it make any impact on my VSAN configuration for SSD device addition step.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Muhammad,

If it is not detected as SSD and you don't mark it as SSD, it won't be available for selection as cache-tier device when creating the Disk-Group.

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

Bob

0 Kudos
Zaib_Khan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help,

Issue has been resolved now, i have set the disk type as SSD via ESXCLI command thru SSH the host.

Without Vcenter, web client cannot mark the drive type as FLASH Disk. This option only comes in Vcenter.

Thanks for the prompt response and help.

0 Kudos
clever_son
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do you mark the disk as ssd using esxcli command thru ssh? Could you give me the steps you have used? Thanks

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@clever_son In what version of ESXi?

Older method was just:

esxcli vsan storage tag add -d <device name> -t capacityFlash

In ESXi 7.x/8.x can use:

esxcli storage hpp device set -d naa.5001538e4102a7a2 -M true

0 Kudos