VMware Cloud Community
michern
Contributor
Contributor

SAN NFS File Service for Critical Apps

Hello,

I have a client who might be looking to get off of NetApp and onto vSAN exclusively but they have some critical applications that can only use NFS.

Anyone know if NFS File Service is a good alternative for something like traditional NFS storage for critical workloads?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kenobi79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi

I personally believe that there is no better solution. Consider that everything you create in vsan has the same vsan storage policies.
Obviously many things must be evaluated including: what vsan infrastructure do you have? What FTT is there? What vsan Storage policy do you use? How critical is the nfs data?
Net of these doubts, I think vsan file services is an excellent solution (after all we are on a vmware forum 🙂 ), simple to configure, maintain, and secure

Bye

Bye - Riccardo Panzieri
https://www.i3piccioni.it
0 Kudos
Brisk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you're unsure if it will meet all your requirements, you can always test it out. Set up the NFS file services and clone the critical application so that I can use those file services.

Should you encounter any issues, you can always set up a virtual netapp appliance or just run an NFS server on a linux VM.

0 Kudos