VMware Cloud Community
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question on VSAN backup/replication

Wishes everyone,

For traditional storage, we have option called SAN copy is there anything in VSAN which will cover this SAN copy needs?

Regards,

Volga.

13 Replies
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi Volga,

I am not sure we can do SAN copy or similar to SAN copy in VSAN, may be someone from team can help you

Technically I think SAN copy is performed at LUN level, are you trying to backup/replicate entire VSAN datastore? 

Thanks,

Vkmr.

depping
Leadership
Leadership

A clone of the VM would probably be the closest to what you are looking for. We don't have the feature that you are looking for specifically. What is the use case?

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for reply

Actually clone will not work since we are doing it at VM level in our case

we are planning to build pivotal environment where there are lot of VMs created and the VMs will be keep on changing

In old environment we have SAN copy at array level but with VSAN we are trying to figure it out how can we restore entire environment in the even of corruption

Regards,
Volga  

0 Kudos
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes kind of, we are trying to backup entire resource pool because of application requirement

corrected, datastore with resource pool

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

There is no application which "requires" you to back up the entire vSAN datastore. This may be something you have internally decided on based upon limited understanding, but it's not legitimate. When you say "pivotal" you're talking about a company, not a product. Are we talking PAS? PKS? Something else? Regardless of either of those two, you do not need to back up the entire datastore to protect those workloads. They each have data protection methods available that don't entail such measures.

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well, I would have been more clear

I am talking about PCF, to run multi foundations, SAN copy kind of solution is mandatory, I will share you information/recommendations stated in Pivotal documents currently I do not have that document handy

daphnissov​ are you familiar with PCF? I mean multi foundations Active/Standby

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

PCF = PAS now, and it does not require wholesale backup of the vSAN datastore–let alone any other vSphere datastore.

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

I have created your question as an idea " "

let see if you get any reply's, even I am not aware any application required whole datastore or resource pool replication

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

yes daphnissov​ I think PAS uses some S3 type of storage [ECS buckets] for backups

Regards,
Vkmr

0 Kudos
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My apologizes, after cross checking my-self and documents, it is not mandatory for whole data store to replicate, it is a custom request

0 Kudos
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you advise me what is your recommendations if whole datacenter site is down, what is the DR best solution for PAS?

I appreciate your help

Thank you,

Volga.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

As this has now morphed into a PAS-related query, I'd recommend you ask on a more PAS-focused forum (and not a VMware one).

0 Kudos
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well, PSA is saying it is VSAN limitation, it is like what is first among hen or egg

For now we are not going to use VSAN for few use cases where we need SAN copy 

0 Kudos