VMware Cloud Community
redbaron28
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with shared storage

Hi so im kind of new to vmware. Im trying to make a 3 node cluster with shared storage. 2 of these servers has lsi hba cards and the 3rd has a p800 controller. Ive been reading about all this stuff with vsan and clustered shared storage. Im not sure what im doing. i did install vmware 6.5 on one of my hosts and tried creating a datastore but i get a multipath error. I have been also reading about making a freenas host and share the storage through iscsi. I'd like to do ssd caching but i dont know if ill be able to do it.

What are my options with the hardware i have and in what order do i install everything?

host1 HP DL380 g6  with lsi hba

host2 HP DL380 g6  with lsi hba

host3 HP DL380 g6  with hp p800

HP storageworks d2700 jbod.

HP mas60 jbod

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using VMware vSAN (formerly Virtual SAN) or external shared storage NAS/SAN to connect the ESXi Servers?

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
redbaron28
Contributor
Contributor

At the moment nothing just have a d2700 connected with sas cables to the hba cards on my servers. Would is be best to just buy another server for freenas and host a iscsi host from that?

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Optional: Openfiler is made available to everyone!

"Install and configure Openfiler for ESXi shared storage with NFS and iSCSI.

Openfiler provides a simple way to deploy and manage networked storage. 

Installing Openfiler results in a powerful networked storage solution."

LINK:

http://www.vmwarebits.com/content/install-and-configure-openfiler-esxi-shared-storage-nfs-and-iscsi

Raul. Smiley Happy

VMware VDI Administrator

http://ITCloudStream.com/

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
redbaron28
Contributor
Contributor

That would work but vmware cant make the datastore to add to the vm so openfiler could access the drives.

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos