VMware Cloud Community
atvirtual
Contributor
Contributor

Performance Issue Vsan 5.5 ,P410i ,DL 580G7

Hello ,

we have some servers with more than 256GB RAM and mix of 10GB and 1 GB NICS ,  on HP DL 580G7 , we came to know there is  SSD slot on Main board of DL580 and decided to put the  normal SSD on it as Flash and for data we using the P410i and added 7 300 disks 15K,each Raid 0, as configuration all working fine ,but i got poor performance on VSAN datastore ,

I know  the P410i not on HCL but thats all  we have .  I really don't know  is this because of Network  issue  or because we use the SSD ATA slot on main board  and put data on smart array ?

Thanks for helping me .

0 Kudos
3 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

I would start with the P410i not being on the HCL as you said.  Although queue depth is 1020, so that's good.

I'm a bit confused on what slot your SSD is in.  Did you mean a PCIe slot?  If that's the case, that's good for performance because the SSD IO will not be going through the IO controller.

In general it is best to have all hosts be the same.  I would try to get the hosts as close to matching and then see what vSAN observer looks like.  That should show you where the bottle neck is.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
atvirtual
Contributor
Contributor

Actually ,on DL 580 Main Board ,some where behind the cable on main board  ,there is a ATA SSD slot  ,which  you can connect it directly to SSD disks and Vmware detected it as  a seperate controller,but its not PCI-e , . All servers are same   with 1TB memory .even i moved the SSD to the raid controller ,But performance was so poor .deploying the VM  from templates on Vsan datastore takes  takes 5 yo 8 minutes !

I don't know if i order different controller problem will solved on no ?

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

I would try getting the SSD on a different controller or use a PCIe flash.  What does vSAN Observer show for the SSD layer?  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos