VMware Cloud Community
ActiveX2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PLOG: PLOGDefenceProbeInterval:5363: Throttled: PROBE_INTERVAL should > IO timeout. Using IO timeout value for probe interval.

Hello, I am using a VSAN Cluster with 5 HP DL380 Gen9 Hosts - The Hardware including disks and Array Controller is on the HCL. I see a lot of messages like: PLOG: PLOGDefenceProbeInterval:5363: Throttled: PROBE_INTERVAL should > IO timeout. Using IO timeout value for probe interval. in the vmkernel log. Can anybody explain me what it means? Regards Stefan

VCP2/3/4/5/VCAP-DCD4/5/VCAP-DCA4/5
6 Replies
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got 4 Dell R730xd with the same messages :

<180>2015-05-30T08:59:03.239Z esx.vmware.com vmkwarning: cpu27:36933)WARNING: PLOG: PLOGDefenceProbeInterval:5363: Throttled: PROBE_INTERVAL should > IO timeout. Using IO timeout value for probe interval.

Did you ask VMware support about it?

0 Kudos
ActiveX2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I opened a support case but the support don't had a really idea where is the problem. They want that I downgrade the controller driver from 2.14 to 1.18 (HP P440AR) because the 1.18 is the only supported version.   On the other side are there many bugfixes in the newer controller firmware release and HP strongley recommend to use the 2.14 firmware... At the Moment I still working with the actual Firmware and get the error Messages. I am waiting for news in the HCL.

Stefan

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

I would default to the supported version of vSAN rather than the HP recommendation.  For instance we had vSAN on 5.5. No issues at all.  Then we upgraded to vSAN 6 which included a LSI update to firmware.  No issues at all.  We re-did the cluster with vSAN 5.5 without downgrading the firmware and we shortly saw disks disappearing and reappearing.  We downgraded the firmware to the supported vSAN 5.5 version and the issues went away.

In my experience, the HCL rules it all.  Thank you, Zach.

ActiveX2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now the current Firmware is supported in the HCL, but still the same error message 😞

I will open a new case at VMware Support.

Stefan

0 Kudos
haftic27
Contributor
Contributor

I have 3 Dell R730 and also get this messages.

RAID Controler is PERC H730P Mini with Firmware-Version 25.3.0.0016 and Driver-Version 6.606.12.00. Config is supported through vSAN HCL.

Any updates from VMware Support?

Magnus

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is a harmless warning message.

It just means that the heartbeat io timeout is inferior to the ioretry timeout and then vsan uses the default ioretry timeout value for the heartbeat.

You can skip that message.

0 Kudos