VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Objects and components in SPBM

I have a vm but want to know:

1- is there difference between objects and components ?

2- How many objects and components has a VM with FTT=0 ?

3 - How many objects and components has a VM with FTT=1 ?

4 - How many objects has a VM with FTT=1 and stripe = 1 ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sounds accurate to me.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@baber , A VM isn't a single Object, each VM will have several different types of Objects associated wtih it (e.g. namespace, vmdks, vswp)

1. Yes - the Object is the whole thing (e.g. a vmdk) where a component is just a part of the data that makes up the vmdk (e.g. single data-replica or a stripe of one).

2. That depends entirely on how many stripes it has which is determined by it's size and/or the Stripe-width of the policy applied to it (anything >250GB gets striped into smaller components e.g. a 200GB FTT=0 vmdk would have 1 component, but a 300GB one would have 2 components).

3. See 2. (e.g. a 200GB FTT=1 vmdk would have 3 components but a 300GB one would have 5 components) but also depends on whether RAID5 (min 4 components) or RAID1 (min 3 components).

4. How many Objects a VM is associated with depends entirely on the VM and its configuration e.g. I could attach 100 vmdks to a VM and then take snapshots for all of these and thus have at least 201 Objects associated with it.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

About question 3 I think your answer is not correct :

you said:

3. See 2. (e.g. a 200GB FTT=1 vmdk would have 3 components but a 300GB one would have 5 components) but also depends on whether RAID5 (min 4 components) or RAID1 (min 3 components).

But I think :

1- A vm with 200G size with FTT=1 has 6 +3 witness due power on vm (total = 9 components) and has  4 compoents + 2 witness due power of vm (total = 6 components) and a VM with 300GB vmdk disk has 6 component+2 witness (totally 8 components) due power off

Is that correct ?

2- Is the number of component just disk and replica disks  or it is contain disk , replica disk , vmswap and namespace ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Note that TheBobkin is talking about 1 object, a VMDK, he did not say VM. A VM would have more objects with more components indeed, as you would have the swap and namespace as well indeed.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Now is this correct ?

A vm with 200G size with FTT=1 has 6 +3 witness due power on vm (total = 9 components) and has 4 compoents + 2 witness due power of vm (total = 6 components) and a VM with 300GB with vmdk disk and FTT=1 has 8 component+3 witness (totally 11 components) due power on

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sounds accurate to me.