VMware Cloud Community
OleJakobsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Number of disk stripes per object

Hi,

I am creating a test VM on vsanDatastore with storage policies as "Number of disk stripes per object = 2 ". When the process to create VM is about  25% then I was  hit with this error "The policy requires 2 replicas with 2 disks each with 0 bytes free each.  Only found 0 such disks"

My setup is 3 physical hosts, each host has 1 disk group (240GB SSD, 1TB HDD)

I have tried to create a few test VM on vsanDatastore with default(None) policies. All went well.

Please explain me why I failed with this error. Where should I look to troubleshoot this ? Thank you.

Regards,

Ole

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jkoebrunner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I assume, that you have also have set "failures to tolerate = 1" in your policy, right?

If yes, since you only have 1x HDD per disk group and 3 disk groups at all, there is no way how to achieve a stripe width = 2 policy because the data blocks can not be distributed across 3 HDDs providing the necessary fault tolerance at the same time.

Johannes Köbrunner IT Solutions Architect Virtualization, Network and Storage Systems Frequentis AG VTSP, VCP, VCAP-DCD

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jkoebrunner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I assume, that you have also have set "failures to tolerate = 1" in your policy, right?

If yes, since you only have 1x HDD per disk group and 3 disk groups at all, there is no way how to achieve a stripe width = 2 policy because the data blocks can not be distributed across 3 HDDs providing the necessary fault tolerance at the same time.

Johannes Köbrunner IT Solutions Architect Virtualization, Network and Storage Systems Frequentis AG VTSP, VCP, VCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
OleJakobsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your explanation

0 Kudos