VMware Cloud Community
vishalchand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Number of datastores

Hi All,

We have 1 x SSD per host and 5 x HDD per host with total of 3 host to form a VSAN cluster. From what I understand, we can ONLY create one datastore per cluster. A customer require separate datastore, how can we accommodate two datastore using VSAN.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
crosdorff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using Vsan in esx 5.5 or esx 6.0 it's not possible to have more than one (vsan) datastore.

The only solution I can think of is to create a second datastore on nfs/iscsi/fc/local-disks which is not part of vsan.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
crosdorff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using Vsan in esx 5.5 or esx 6.0 it's not possible to have more than one (vsan) datastore.

The only solution I can think of is to create a second datastore on nfs/iscsi/fc/local-disks which is not part of vsan.

0 Kudos
RyanH84
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Crosdorf is correct, VSAN creates one datastore. To have another you would have to build a new VSAN cluster. You're only option is to present SAN/NAS datastores to the VSAN cluster and have them reside separately.

You could use VM storage policies to ensure that your customer VM's are kept on the SAN/NAS datastores rather than VSAN.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk
ramakrishnak
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

> A customer require separate datastore, how can we accommodate two datastore using VSAN

can we know what is the main reason/usecase for this ?

Thanks,

0 Kudos