VMware Cloud Community
b4ndit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Non contribute hosts

Hi,

We will deploy a cluster with Hybrid and a cluster with All Flash under the same vCenter.

All Contribute hosts using 10 gbe network, hybrid hosts connect to 10 gbe (logical A) and all flash hosts connect to 10 gbe too (logical B). Switch with logical A connect to logical B with 1 gbe (between switch)

In Blog that I found, when to use Non contribute hosts, make sure the we are create a vmkernel that could connect to vSAN.

But for my scenario above, a vmkernel would be used for contribute hosts and also non contribute hosts (ie: when using all flash vsan datastore in hybrid hosts)

Any advice for us, when we want to use the all flash in the hybrid hosts and/or hybrid in the all flash host ? (vice versa)

The goal is to create storage tier (hybrid and all flash)

Hybrid and All flash cluster will have more that 4 hosts each.

Any advice/comment are welcome.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No this is not possible.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That is not possible. A host in a cluster can only be part of 1 VSAN Cluster. You cannot connect a host in VSAN Cluster A to VSAN Cluster B that way. VSAN does not have the notion of tiering at the moment. This will be a manual effort.

0 Kudos
b4ndit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Duncan,

Thank you. We will joined to hybrid and all flash hosts to a single cluster.

The Storage tiering I meant was A VM could have disks in hybrid vSAN and also could have disks in All Flash vSAN at the same time.

Could this be possible ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No this is not possible.

0 Kudos
b4ndit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution