VMware Cloud Community
mario1994
Contributor
Contributor

Non-SSD drive does not appear in the list to be claimed

Hello

I'm building a vSAN Cluster with 3 hosts, each of one with 1 SSD and 2 HDD. VMware ESXi 6 is installed on one of the HDD in every host.

I just activated vSAN in the cluster, and vSAN traffic on a vMkernel port on every host's Standard vSwitch.

But when I try to reclaim disks for building a vSAN cluster, the "reclaim disks" dialog window, only show SSD drives, but not the HDD ones.

Nevertheless, I can see 3 disks (1 SSD and 2 HDD) in the window [Hosts]-->[Settings]-->[Storage devices].

At first, the SSD was attached to [Host Cache], and it was not also appearing in the list of the available discs to claim.

If I pretend to earase the disk from the host, they tell me the disk is in use.

What could I do?

I appreciate any help

Mario

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MBrownWFP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First off, VSAN can only claim disks that are totally empty. If you have installed ESXi on one of your local disks it will not show up. It's common these days to install ESXi on an SD card to free up the local disks. It is recommended to set a persistent scratch location for logs when doing this.

Second, is your storage controller on the VSAN HCL? If yes, have you set the controller to pass-through or RAID0 mode (less preferable)? I had a fully VSAN-compatible server that was not showing any available drives initially because the storage controller was in RAID mode not HBA (pass-through) mode out of the box.

0 Kudos
TRottig
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can't use the disk if its in use as installation media.

The other HDD should work though, run  'vdq -qH' and check for state.

If the drives don't show up there you might have to dig deeper (esxcli storage core device list or hba/raid controller commands)

Run partedUtil to clean up existing partitions

0 Kudos