VMware Cloud Community
vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nested Fault Domains for 2-node STRECHED clusters

If I deploy a streched cluster composed by 2 nodes (in the config guide I select streched NOT 2 hosts),

The "Nested Fault Domains for 2-node clusters" is available ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I just heard that we do support it in a two node configuration which happens to be stretched. Do note, you will need 3 diskgroups at a minimum per host to support it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@vmb01, interesting question - I am not aware of any pertinent variance in the backend settings applied to node for each cluster type that would cause any difference here. 

If you have this already configured as stretched, you should be able to easily check this by creating the policy that would store data like this and validate whether it shows the vsanDatastore for this cluster as compatible (and if it does then validate by creating a test VM with this policy):

TheBobkin_0-1654107364839.png

0 Kudos
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Nested Fault Domains are available for 2-node clusters, yes. But it requires at least 3 disk groups per host to have in-host RAID1:
https://core.vmware.com/blog/nested-fault-domain-2-node-cluster-deployments

Also interesting read: https://www.yellow-bricks.com/2022/03/17/stretched-cluster-witness-failure-resilience-in-vsan-7-0/

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I have never seen a support statement around it to be honest,

0 Kudos
AndreaScarabell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed we would not be able to find any docs about it.

You know, if the nested fault domain would be available also for 1+1+1 streteched cluster, we'll be able to compete with Symplivity and Datacore (I mean: from a data resiliency point of view)  

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't see why it wouldn't be supported, even 2 node stretched is still 2 node, I would assume it is okay, but let me drop a note to a product manager and ask.

vmb01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Duncan, do you have any news, from the PM, about it ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No news, just reminded him.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I just heard that we do support it in a two node configuration which happens to be stretched. Do note, you will need 3 diskgroups at a minimum per host to support it.