VMware Cloud Community
rahulhcl
Contributor
Contributor

Need to get understanding in VVF/VCF Licensing for vSAN

Hi Team,

Would like to know if i am having Perpetual based vSAN cluster configured in my environment, can i add new node with vSAN VVF/VCF which is core based licensing model newly defined by Broadcom within same cluster.

would request to please provide any article to understand this in more deeper level, also please clarify how we can achieve the same with new licensing policy.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tibmeister
Expert
Expert

Perpetual licensing is gone, so don't even worry about considering that.  Here's a great article from William Lam on the subject, What's in the new VMware vSphere Foundation (VVF) and VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF) offers? (william...

0 Kudos
markey165
Expert
Expert

@rahulhcl - If i understand you correctly, you are asking if you can add an additional vSAN node under your existing perpetual license agreement? If so, the answer is no. I'm not sure if your specific scenario is documented, but perpetual licenses can no longer be purchased, period.

What you might be able to do is run your existing perpetual agreement and a new VVF subscription agreement in parallel, although they would need to be configured as separate vSAN clusters, but it depends on your requirements. If it is just need a single host, that might not work for you, but if you can budget for a separate cluster, that might be a way forward.

Alternatively perhaps you can present some datastores backed by iSCSI or NFS to keep you going?

HTH