VMware Cloud Community
joshcc3345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Need help with my vsphere 6.5 home lab - issue with vsan & migrating my vms to the vsan instance

Hello,

Working with my vsphere lab means there is a lot of new territory for me. I have 3 esxi host. Each host has a 1tb HDD and a 120gb SDD. The intent is to implement vsan on all 3 hosts and have my vms migrated to the vsan instance.

Right now, 2 hosts are configured with vsan & the disks have been added (Each host has a 1 1TB HDD for storage & 1 120GB SSD for caching). So each host will be a hybrid configuration. I need to get the 3rd one setup for vsan, but my vms are trapped on the 1tb drive and i'm not able to migrate them to the vsan instance. I have to migrate them before i can add the drive they are currently residing on to vsan - not to mention the SSD on that host too.

So, more about the problem - basically if i try to move vms to the vsan storage, it fails;

At 1st, i was getting this error if i tried to move a vm:

"Cannot complete file creation operation.

There are currently 1 usable fault domains. The operation requires 2 more usable fault domains.

Failed to create object."

- So I played with different storage policies, and made each host (there are 3 hosts) a fault domain, but ended up with the below error when i tried to move the vm:

"Remaining 0 disks not usuable because:

0 - Insufficient space for data/cache reservation.

0 - Maintenance mode or unhealthy disks.

0 - Disk-version or storage-type mismatch.

0 - Max component count reached.

0 - In unusable fault-domains due to policy constraints.

0 - In witness node."

Review of errors:

0 - Insufficient space for data/cache reservation. - this cannot be, as the disks there are not being used. there is ample space and caching

0 - Maintenance mode or unhealthy disks. - this cannot be, because nothing is in maintenance mode. My disks are healthy.

0 - Disk-version or storage-type mismatch. - ...

0 - Max component count reached. - I don't know - i do not think so.

0 - In unusable fault-domains due to policy constraints - this goes back to the 1st error, so i would like to know what i could do about it.

0 - In witness node. - there is no witness node right now, so this is not a possible issue.

Please help. I do not want to have to go out and buy a physical SAN. I need to be able to migrate these vms off of the current host storage (that hasn't accepted disks for vsan yet), onto a vsan host, and make that last host have vsan accept the disks so all 3 hosts are vsan. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong or what I need to do. I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks,
Josh

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Josh,

I had a similar situation, we just changed to vSAN like 2 months ago, so I run trough a lot of issues too.

Go to Policies and Profiles then to VM Storage Policies and hit create VM Storage Policy.

Name the new Policy something like Temporary, hit Next, Do not use Common Rules, just Hit Next, Select at Storage Type: vSAN and add the Rule -> Primary level of failure to tolerate: 0

Hit next, then finish it.

Try again to migrate, but when you select the destination make sure that you select the "Temporary" policy and not the vSAN standard Policy.

This time the migration should work without any issues.

Best regards,

Marco

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog

View solution in original post

4 Replies
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Josh,

I had a similar situation, we just changed to vSAN like 2 months ago, so I run trough a lot of issues too.

Go to Policies and Profiles then to VM Storage Policies and hit create VM Storage Policy.

Name the new Policy something like Temporary, hit Next, Do not use Common Rules, just Hit Next, Select at Storage Type: vSAN and add the Rule -> Primary level of failure to tolerate: 0

Hit next, then finish it.

Try again to migrate, but when you select the destination make sure that you select the "Temporary" policy and not the vSAN standard Policy.

This time the migration should work without any issues.

Best regards,

Marco

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog
joshcc3345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dude! That was it! Thank you so much! I knew the storage policy was the common factor of the problem, but I didn't know what I needed to change! Thank You so much! This is so awesome!!!!!

0 Kudos
joshcc3345
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How should i adjust my storage policy once i have my last host's storage added to vsan?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Josh,

You can simply re-apply the 'Virtual SAN Default Storage Policy' back to all the currently FTT=0 Objects, this can be achieved via the Storage Policies administration tab or individually to VMs by right-clicking a VM in inventory, selecting Storage Policies and changing this to the vSAN Default or any other created FTT=1 Storage Policy.

Change Storage Policy Assignment for Virtual Machine Files and Disks

Bob