VMware Cloud Community
klancy43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Minimize the vSAN storage space that VM occupied?

Hi folks,

I got a vSphere version 6.7 environment of AF vSAN cluster and am wondering about if there's a mechanism to make the VMs (that utilize vSAN storage)use the least amount of space so that to free up more space for vSAN storage.

The current policy applied to the VMs are "thin provisioning" + "FTT=1(raid5)" and I guess this combination is the best one to consume the least storage space(if I require protection for VM objects.)?

Sorry for the stupid question if it is.

Is there a method to reclaim space from the VM's vmdk (to release to vSAN)? I thought the OS in VM only utilize some amount of space but from the vCenter we can see the vmdk is quite larger than what the OS consume...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unmap/Trim is what you are looking for: https://core.vmware.com/resource/vsan-space-efficiency-technologies#sec2-sub1

But I would recommend you go up to the highest update level first before you use it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unmap/Trim is what you are looking for: https://core.vmware.com/resource/vsan-space-efficiency-technologies#sec2-sub1

But I would recommend you go up to the highest update level first before you use it.

0 Kudos
klancy43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @depping 

thanks for answering!

I just noticed this doc and it seems that this is what you are talking about but I'm not 100% sure about it.

Are these the same ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes that is the same, UNMAP!

0 Kudos
klancy43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@depping 

So in order to achieve the space reclamation from guest-OS and release to vSAN storage instantly, 

I must to perform the "vsan.unmap_support –enable" command on vSAN (cluster-level) and the inline unmap such as "mount -o discard" for linux (OS-level)???

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

yes, just follow the documentation.

0 Kudos