VMware Cloud Community
Bala1182002
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Migration to VSAN

Dear Experts

Can you share the vmware best practices for migrating P2VSAN(FC Storage), P2VSAN(DIrectly attached Storage), and V2VSAN(FC Storage)?

This will help me to define the migration methodology.

Thanks

Bala

8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Greetings!

Answering your query needs further input. Could you please provide more details about your use case?

1) P2VSAN(FC Storage) - Does this mean that your application is currently on physical host and I/Os are being served from FC storage (like EMC) and you want to move it to vSphere VM and vSAN?

2) P2VSAN(DIrectly attached Storage) - Does this mean that your application is currently on physical host and I/Os are being served from the local storage of same server and you want to move it to vSphere VM and vSAN?

3) V2VSAN(FC Storage) - Does this mean that your application is currently running on a vSphere VM and I/Os are being served from VMFS hosted on FC storage (like EMC) and you want your I/Os to be served from vSAN?

Cheers!

-Shivam

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You are able to present storage to a vSAN cluster the same way as you do to non-vSAN vSphere Clusters. Once you present the data, you can do cold migration or vMotion (resource +storage).

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Bala

From what I have seen of Physical to Virtual (P2V) conversions, I have yet to find any tool that is Object-based storage aware and allows direct conversion from non-VMFS disks to vSAN Objects (.vmdk), if anyone knows of such a tool/process do let us know here.

(vCenter standalone converter lists vSAN-related mention in 6.0 version patch notes but from looking in the Admin guides for 6.0 and 5.5 versions there is zero mention of vSAN!)

Going to go out on a limb and guess possible scenarios here and based on shivam_chawla comment:

P2VSAN(FC Storage) - Migrate OS/Apps running on physical servers backed by FC storage:

You can do a P2V conversion 'in-place' on the same FC-SAN, just make a VMFS datastore on the same SAN and use vCenter Converter or something similar to P2V from the current storage to the VMFS datastore. Then you can attach these FC VMFS datastores to the vSAN nodes and Storage vMotion to vSAN-datastore and convert them into vSAN-Objects.

P2VSAN(Directly-attached Storage) - Migrate OS/Apps running on physical servers backed by local storage:

Similar to above, you could attach FC-SAN to the physical box and use converter or some other tool to P2V from the local-storage to the FC VMFS datastores and then SvMotion/migrate to vSAN-datastore.

V2VSAN(FC Storage) - VMs backed by VMFS on FC storage.

This would just involve attaching these FC VMFS datastores to the vSAN nodes and then Storage vMotioning to vSAN-datastore.

When migrating these from VMFS to vSAN datastore you should be able to choose which vSAN Storage Policy to apply to each VM/Object so that their components are created to adhere to these policies, so create any specific policies you may require prior to this (or just apply vSAN Datastore Default Policy and change them later).

If none of the above is what you are trying to achieve here then please clarify your question further :smileygrin:

Bob

-o- If you found this comment useful please click the 'Helpful' button and/or select as 'Answer' if you consider it so, please ask follow-up questions if you have any -o-

MBrownWFP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried VMware Converter? This non-official site indicates that VSAN support has been included in Converter since v5.5.1 (2014): https://www.vladan.fr/vmware-converter-standalone-5-5-1-vsan-support/

If your VSAN datastore is empty (or not yet running production workload) I would give Converter a it a try using a non-production source machine. Worst that can happen is it will fail, and you may have some cleanup to do in VSAN.

I was having some trouble moving a very large VM from a standalone host into our VSAN cluster via regular vMotion. Opened a ticket and Support actually recommend that I try using Converter to move the VM into VSAN. Granted the system was already a VM running on VMFS, but I doubt they would make that recommendation if the tool flat out does not support VSAN.

johandijkstra
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copying the files with something like WinSCP or FastSCP (Veeam)?

And then add to inventory?

0 Kudos
Bala1182002
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think this approach won't applicable in the production environment!

0 Kudos
Bala1182002
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This will have customer downtime!

0 Kudos
Bala1182002
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes you have defined my requirements

0 Kudos