VMware Cloud Community
samlouis55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

List of object empty for a Capacity Disk

Hello,

I have m vsan, when i go to Physical disks I can click on any Capacity Disks to see vm objects on it except for a Capacity disk that is 1.46TB with Used capacity of 1.44TB, the list of object is empty. My question is can i delete this disk to remove it to the disk group, format and add it back again. I have 3 hosts AF vsan with each diskgroup of 1 cache of 200GB and 1.46TB of capacity. My vsan has trouble now and i suspect it the disk whose object is empty is causing issues.

Regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello,

How much disk space per disk-groups is currently used on this vSAN datastore? (via RVC > vsan.disks_stats)

Where are you seeing this 1.44TB/1.46TB used?

The first things to check if you suspect a disk issue are:

- Cluster > Monitor > Health > Look for cluster or disk issues under the drop-down sub-checks

- SSH to the host and run # esxcli vsan storage list

If you are seeing disks with 'In CMMDS: false' then yes you have a disk issue.

If you want to see what LSOM-components are located on a disk then check using the capacity drive UUID from the above command:

#cmmds-tool find -t DOM_OBJECT   | grep <UUID of disk>

Bob

0 Kudos
samlouis55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am not using RVC.

I am seeing 1.44TB/1.46TB on vCenter Monitor Tab / Virtual SAN/ Physical Disks.

In the Cluster>Monitor>Health> Physical Disk> Disk capacity, it shows the disk the capacity status is failed and the free space is 0.00 GB (0%).

In ssh into the host, In CMMDS: true in all of disks.

I am migrating critical vms to another local datastore. I will delete the disk to the diskgroup, format, recreate to see what happens.

And in Cluster>Monitor>Health>, Data>Virtual San object health i see inacessible: 67. Don't know how to troubleshoot this.

Regards.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello samlouis55,

If a capacity drive is showing as failed then any data located on this will not be accessible. Though unless you have FTT=0 Objects/VMs you should not be seeing any Objects as Inaccessible unless more than one failure has occurred (however these could have been present before this issue occurred).

Are all of your VMs currently available and can they be powered on?

If possible, I would advise to open a Support Request with GSS to be on the safe side before removing/remediating anything.

Bob

0 Kudos