VMware Cloud Community
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Licensing Operations Management > vSAN. Since vCenter is needed, is it included?

I wasn't part in the purchasing of the setup I use, it runs vSphere 6.7 with Operations Management but somehow it has vSAN--I don't know what happened there, don't want to poke it and break it. I'd like to upgrade it but the current equivalent of Operations Management + vSAN is a lot to license for a small cluster. I can do without vROps, it's more harmful than helpful on a datacenter this small but I'd still need vCenter. vSAN with its new [object-based] storage server capabilities is impossible not to license.

I'd like to keep Log Insight the ability to use VM templates too, but I'm fine letting go if need be. Looking forward to your advice. Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I also not understand what youre asking for.  About the vSphere with Operationsmanagement aka vSOM this BUNDLE does not exist anymore. If you upgrade this 6.x ESXi to 7.0 license within the my.vmware Portal it will split into separate license keys. When the next renewal comes you can drop it when you dont have a need for or your budget is tight.

VMware ships  Log Insight as vCenter Log Insight with every vCenter Standard and it includes 25 OSI. So you already have it and you cant drop/split it. Right now its part of the vCenter Std. SKU and always included.

vSAN is a separate License but for sure it can be obtained within a Bundle or separate.  You should ask your VMware reseller.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not clear on your actual question. Are you asking if vSAN is included with vCenter? Please clarify what you're asking us here.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I also not understand what youre asking for.  About the vSphere with Operationsmanagement aka vSOM this BUNDLE does not exist anymore. If you upgrade this 6.x ESXi to 7.0 license within the my.vmware Portal it will split into separate license keys. When the next renewal comes you can drop it when you dont have a need for or your budget is tight.

VMware ships  Log Insight as vCenter Log Insight with every vCenter Standard and it includes 25 OSI. So you already have it and you cant drop/split it. Right now its part of the vCenter Std. SKU and always included.

vSAN is a separate License but for sure it can be obtained within a Bundle or separate.  You should ask your VMware reseller.

Regards,
Joerg

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you seen this announcement back in mid-2018?

vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

I didn't know that, I thought I had Log Insight because of Operation Management since it seems more like in the area of analytics. That's cool.

I did find accidentally the answer to my question when I was looking for information on 2-node vSAN clusters--it turns out there an SKU that it's like a pack thing that its vCenter Server is allow to manage three hosts, just enough for the two-node cluster + witness. It was something similar, I kept opening links in two devices at a time and lost it.

That's gives me hope maybe going a little higher I can get a well rounded SKU that's not too locked off. There should be something like a vSAN storage-only node. I feel it's getting there but first there'll be something like SMB service first, like two years from now. :smileycry:

Anyway, thanks for the info. I also han't seen the thing about Log Insight--which sort of reinforces my wrong belief of me having it licensed with OpsMgmt (as a vROps complement), it makes so much more sense.

0 Kudos
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, I will for sure but I'd like to come prepared because there are so many SKUs it get confusing what does what and if they're like incremental or modular--apparently they're both.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos