DanielSalzedoSA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

License question - Do I need a VSAN license for all hosts in a cluster?

Jump to solution

I have an existing 6 host cluster using the VSphere Essentials Plus kit with a single VCenter Server. Can I purchase 3 x VSAN licenses, add storage to the 3 hosts I install the VSAN license onto and access the VSAN datastore from the other 3 hosts in the cluster? (Assuming 1 CPU per host.)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cmiller78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Daniel,

Since Virtual SAN is enabled at a cluster level, all hosts in a cluster can consume storage from the Virtual SAN datastore regardless of how many hosts contribute storage. So to answer your question, you would need to license all 6 hosts in your cluster even if only 3 of them were contributing storage.

Also note that the licenses are per CPU so in your scenario if each host contains 2 processors you would need a total of 12 CPU licenses. Hope this helps.

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vThinkBeyondVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Friend,

Here is complete details from VMware on vSAN licensing:

Licensing for Virtual SAN

When you enable Virtual SAN on a cluster, you must assign the cluster an appropriate Virtual SAN license before its 60-day evaluation period expires.

If it is useful, plz mark answer as correct or helpful. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Thanks & Regards Vikas, VCP50, MCTS on AD, SCJP6.0. http://vThinkBeyondVM.com ----------------------------------------------------------------- Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are strictly my own. I am solely responsible for all content published here. Content published here is not read, reviewed or approved in advance by VMware and does not necessarily represent or reflect the views or opinions of VMware.
cmiller78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Daniel,

Since Virtual SAN is enabled at a cluster level, all hosts in a cluster can consume storage from the Virtual SAN datastore regardless of how many hosts contribute storage. So to answer your question, you would need to license all 6 hosts in your cluster even if only 3 of them were contributing storage.

Also note that the licenses are per CPU so in your scenario if each host contains 2 processors you would need a total of 12 CPU licenses. Hope this helps.

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DanielSalzedoSA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers!

0 Kudos