VMware Cloud Community
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

LSI 9361-8i on VSAN HCL, but in warning state in VSphere 6.0U3

I have 6 hosts with LSI 9361-8i controllers (or Avago, or Broadcom, or name of whomever buys them next). They are fully supported on the VSAN HCL for esxi 6.0U3:

1.jpg

I clicked the "w/JBOD" link

3.jpg

then clicked the "Download drivers from" link, drivers from the HCL

6.jpg

I downloaded and extracted the .zip file, and installed the .vib onto all my hosts (esxcli software vib update -v lsi-mr3-6.912.11.00-1OEM.600.0.0.2768847.x86_64.vib) (I updated rather than installed because I already had a previous version installed).

I now go to my cluster in Vcenter, Monitor, Virtual SAN, Health, and see that the controller driver is in a warning state, and not on the HCL:

5.jpg

2.jpg

What??? I just downloaded and installed *that* driver FROM the HCL!

Any idea what's up with this?

Thanks!

5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

Have you tried HCL DB update?

Updating the vSAN HCL database manually (2145116) | VMware KB

update and re-test it again.

0 Kudos
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks; but you'll notice in the Virtual SAN Health screenshot that that both the "HCL Auto Update" and "HCL up-to-date" checks are green. That's because I clicked the "Get latest version online" and it was successful, and then retested...multiple times, actually.

7.jpg

Just for grins I did the manual update just now, but that didn't change anything.So this doesn't seem to be the issue.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

then I think

LSI 9361-8i should be certified but maybe OEM branded is not certified yet.. or can be bug.

Do you know what storage controller you are using exactly? including OEM branded name as well.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

try to get vid/did/svid/ssid of your storage controller and put it on HCL to find it.

check this KB

Identifying correct driver for ESXi/ESX host PCI devices (HBA) using VMware Hardware Compatibility G...

ManuelDB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just for future reference, it will be probably a settings in controller firmware.

I have found that enabling JBOD mode instead of RAID mode, the controller change the SSID

For your controller, for example

JBOD MODE

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

RAID MODE

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

And as you can see, they have different drivers in HCL.

To check the SSID of your controller, enter in SSH on a host and launch this command:

esxcli vsan debug controller list

and you will have a list of all controllers, with theyr VID/DID/SVID/SSID, and with that yopu can check the HCL driver needed