VMware Cloud Community
lolo31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

L2 / L3 Network for Witness Traffic

Hello,

I understand the point of NOT going for a Full L2 everywhere in a vSAN Stretched Cluster.

In case of failure, the vSAN traffic may go through the Witness to go from one site to another (= poor performance if low bandwith to Witness).

But in a 2 Node ROBO direct-connect with WTS ?

I don't see any problem to go for a Full L2 everywhere If you have a share vmk (Management+Witness traffic) or a dedicated vmk for vSAN Witness Traffic.

Do i miss something or do you agree ?

Thanks ! Smiley Happy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi lolo31,

I don't really know why it should be on a L3, you just need a L3 if you are routing outside your network.

If you can have 1st and 2nd vSAN Host stretched within a L2 you can go also for a L2 Witness if the network is stretched to it.

Check here for the Manual.

Configure Network Interface for Witness Traffic

So, as you say, there is nothing you are missing.

Best regards,
Marco

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mprazeres183
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi lolo31,

I don't really know why it should be on a L3, you just need a L3 if you are routing outside your network.

If you can have 1st and 2nd vSAN Host stretched within a L2 you can go also for a L2 Witness if the network is stretched to it.

Check here for the Manual.

Configure Network Interface for Witness Traffic

So, as you say, there is nothing you are missing.

Best regards,
Marco

Check my blog, and if my answere resolved the issue, please provide a feedback. Marco Frias - VMware is my World www.vmtn.blog
lolo31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All right, thanks Marco !

Regards.

0 Kudos