VMware Cloud Community
wudevr99
Contributor
Contributor

Is it Possible to Leverage vSAN to Share one Server's Local Storage to Other ESXi hosts?

I'm considering creating a NVMe 'all flash' SAN for a project I'm working on.

I will be building a 3 node ESXi cluster to service a group of Users working with large graphics intense workloads.

I would like to use high speed NVMe SSD storage, shared amongst the cluster nodes, as it would be cost prohibitive to use it as local storage on all 3 nodes.

Can I load a server with NVMe storage and using vSAN either: a) Have it be an ESXi host, hosting some VM's and sharing it's fast storage with the 2 other ESXi hosts?

b) Have it be a dedicated SAN, not hosting any VM's and sharing it's fast storage with 3 ESXi hosts?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello,

Short answer to a) and b) is unfortunately No.

As a distributed-storage solution vSAN requires a minimum of 3 data-nodes with local storage (or 2 data-nodes + a Witness node in ROBO or Direct-connect implementations).

These nodes create disk-groups from their local storage devices consisting of 1 Cache-tier SSD drive(NVMe, SAS or SATA), and up to 7 Capacity-tier drives (HDDs or SSDs), up to 5 of these disk-groups can be added to each host (their capacity and layout should be consistent on each host in the cluster), these disk-groups' resources are then pooled and create a vsandatastore that can be accessed by all hosts in the cluster.

You can however have a 3-node cluster with disk-groups and then additional hosts in the cluster that have no local storage that can access these storage resources, though this is not ideal nor advisable.

How many VMs with high graphics workloads are you running here?

You might have better results from having passthrough or shared (relatively expensive) GPUs, or local SSDs/NVMe devices as Flash-read-cache (though whether this will benefit largely depends on the workload type):

https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2058983

While NVMe devices are expensive, Enterprise SSDs and HDDS are relatively affordable and vSAN can achieve very high throughput for the price even with relatively small resources so a basic 3-node decked out with these might suffice (again this depends on the workload).

What storage are the current VMs running on and estimated current/required IOPS?

Bob

-o- If you found this comment useful please click the 'Helpful' button and/or select as 'Answer' if you consider it so, please ask follow-up questions if you have any -o

0 Kudos