VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Identify total vSAN capacity needed

Hi,

Currently got a Hybrid vSAN with 25TB of used storage out of total capacity of 45TB (using default vSAN storage policy)

We have another 30TB stored on other storage (such as SAN and NFS) which we temporary (might be for a month or even more) need to storage migrate to vSAN. (This will be consuming 60TB on vSAN due to default vSAN storage policy)

For this reason we are looking at options and one of them is to replace the cluster to an ALL FLASH vSAN (Standard License) but need to understand how much total capacity I need.

Would I be correct in calculating as follows:

25TB + 60TB = 85TB usable storage needed. (Note these figures already include a few TB extra to account for growth)

Now I recall that there should be approx 30% free (Slack space) on vSAN storage to account for Host failures etc... so to find total capacity 85 * 100 / 70 = 121.5

Total vSAN datastore (RAW) Capacity needed: 121.5TB 

Got a couple of large VM's using 6TB on SAN/NFS which I know they can be problematic to move to vSAN unless there is enough free space. 

Do I need to adjust the calculations above or take into consideration other factors?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vFouad
Leadership
Leadership

That sounds like you have the basic concepts down; Have you checked out the vSAN sizer tool?

https://vsansizer.vmware.com

0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

yes did had a look, but wanted to confirm mainly if thoughts about the calculations make sense

About the tool, Storage Per VM ( GB ), vCPU / VM  these are different as not all VMs have the same specs

vCPU / Core, vRAM / VM (GB) what values is this referring to?

Compression Only - not compression is used, should I enter 1?

IOPS per VM is also different, how is this best calculated via vCenter? 

Just want to make sure I enter correct info if I have to try this tool...

0 Kudos