VMware Cloud Community
paggarwa
Contributor
Contributor

Identify/match physical disks with disks present in VSAN disk group

Hi,

I need to identify/match a particular logical disk visible in VSAN diskgroup, in logical/physical drives visible through HPSSACLI command in ESXi console. The problem is, the unique identifier visible through HP utility command is not matching with any naa. ID visible in VSAN configuration tab in vsphere web client. Any ideas on how to match disk visible in VSAN with phsyical disk would be great.

Configuration: ESXi 5.5, HP DL380 Gen9

Regards, Pranav
0 Kudos
4 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

You can try with

esxcli storage core device list

Although I would love to get this output and also the output you are seeing on hpssacli so we can try to get to it.

Marcelo

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
krishnaprasad
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, It's still hard to identify the exact physical drive (in vSAN 5.5) which is part of a vSAN disk group. In ESXi 6.x, the HDD blink option resolve this.

For example, "esxcli storage core device list" does list the Model of the disk however the model could be same for most of the disks used for the datastore.

"esxcli storage core path list" provides Adapter, Channel, Target and LUN details. For example, if a specific drive shows vmhba0:C0:T3:L0, does it mean the physical disk is on the 3rd HDD slot ?

Identifying the physical slot of a specific HDD which is part of a specific diskgroup in vsandatastore is something what I look for in vSAN 5.5.

Thanks,

Krishnaprasad

0 Kudos
SebastianGrugel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I working last time at similiar problem and i think found some solution for ESXi 5.5 and DELL R730 for identifying disk slot in server. I can check if you can check that same in Hp server.

Can you look if this solution can working for you ?

http://vsebastian.net/vmware/check-physical-disk-bay-using-naa-identifier-in-esxi/

Sebastian

vExpert VSAN/NSX/CLOUD | VCAP5-DCA | VCP6-DCV/CMA/NV ==> akademiadatacenter.pl
0 Kudos
SebastianGrugel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry.. Some letter mistake.

Should be im not shure if this solution will working on Hp server. Probably you Should have for this Sas disks.

vExpert VSAN/NSX/CLOUD | VCAP5-DCA | VCP6-DCV/CMA/NV ==> akademiadatacenter.pl
0 Kudos