VMware Cloud Community
KoeLee
Contributor
Contributor

IOInsight not working (VCF 4.1)

Hi,

I have the following issue:

When starting an IOInsight capture on our LAB VCF (vSAN 7.0 Update 1, VCF 4.1) and trying to view the metrics, the following error message appears:

"Unable to query IOInsight metrics. The monitored VMs might be deleted."

Any ideas why it is not working?

Johannes

0 Kudos
10 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I assume you tried this with a few VMs from the vCenter H5 console?

0 Kudos
KoeLee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Duncan,

I tried it with many VMs, I tried it with one host, I tried it with the whole cluster.

Always the same message.

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Hello Johannes,

Welcome to Communities.

Anything at all non-standard about the the VMs in this cluster? e.g. do they share disks, were they created natively on vSAN or imported/migrated from elsewhere, all of their vmdks reside on the vsanDatastore, paths to the vmdks are correct and never altered (e.g. by some 3rd-party applications).

Can you create a new test VM, apply the default vSAN Storage Policy to it and test this?

If this results in the same then I would advise opening a Support Request with us at GSS.

Bob

0 Kudos
KoeLee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bob,

all VMs are stored on vSAN, natively from the beginning.
I will try to create a new VM and retry the test.
if this does not help, I will contact GSS.

Johannes

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I just got access to a VCF 4.1 lab, just testing it now to see if it works here.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Just tested it, it works as expected here. Not sure why it fails in your situation, but it works fine here.

0 Kudos
KoeLee
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for checking. I have already filed a support case today.

0 Kudos
sakuffo
Contributor
Contributor

Any logs I can look at to see what's happening? Seeing this too on a VCF on VxRail system (4.1 on 7.0.100/7.0 U1)

0 Kudos
KoeLee
Contributor
Contributor

I have opened a SR for this issue, it is still under investigation.

As far as I know the vsanhealth log is interesting here.

0 Kudos
TeddyVmware86
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Everyone.

This is the engineer that KoelLee has opened the case with and I have been informed from engineering that this will be resolved in the next major release of 7.0 update 2 .

There is currently no workaround, but engineering is aware of this issue and its currently only impacting VCF vsan clusters.

We don't have an exact date of when the update will be released, but it should be around March next year (Rough estimate). 

Best Regards

Teddy