VMware Cloud Community
WangZhiHong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I wonder, in VSAN environment, ESXi host in Cluster1 can use the storage resource in Cluster2?

I wonder, in VSAN environment, ESXi host in Cluster1 can use the storage resource in Cluster2?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, vSAN storage can only be used by VMs running in the same cluster as the vSAN datastore on that particular cluster. The only exception is with vSAN 6.5 or later you can create an iscsi mount from a vSAN cluster and present to any physical host or VM, even when they don't run in the same cluster. The primary use case for this is to present storage to physical hosts or as RDMs for clustering.

Cheers

Per

View solution in original post

3 Replies
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, vSAN storage can only be used by VMs running in the same cluster as the vSAN datastore on that particular cluster. The only exception is with vSAN 6.5 or later you can create an iscsi mount from a vSAN cluster and present to any physical host or VM, even when they don't run in the same cluster. The primary use case for this is to present storage to physical hosts or as RDMs for clustering.

Cheers

Per

WangZhiHong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot.

I will try the new function of iscsi mount from VSAN Cluster.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello Wang,

Just in case this is not clear - it is not supported to present vSAN iSCSI to another ESXi host or cluster.

"Note:

vSAN iSCSI target service does not support other vSphere or ESXi clients or initiators, third-party hypervisors"

docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.virtualsan.doc/GUID-13ADF2FC-9664-448B-A9F3-31059E8FC80E.html

"ESXi host support

Use of the Virutal SAN iSCSI Target for providing storage directly to vSphere is not currently

supported."

storagehub.vmware.com/export_to_pdf/iscsi-target-usage-guide

Bob

0 Kudos