VMware Cloud Community
jim77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to deploy vSan witness

Greetings; I'm attempting to setup vSan (v7.0.2) on a 2 host setup (ESX 7.0.2). Using the QuickStart feature. ESX1 hosts vSphere client; VCS.

Have a few different problems:

1. The instructions say to deploy the witness appliance in a different cluster from the vSan cluster however; both ESX hosts are in the vSAN cluster - how can I deploy the witness appliance in a different cluster when it has no ESX hosts (they're in the vSan cluster)?

2. If I deploy the witness on ESX2 I have to turn the witness off so I can put ESX2 in maintenance mode in order to run Quickstart. With witness off, I cannot complete Quickstart through step 3 Configure cluster. If I leave ESX2 out of maintenance mode to keep witness running Quickstart step 2 shows an error under "all required hosts are in maintenance mode" and I cannot get to Quickstart step 3.

3. If I deploy the witness on ESX1 I get a message: "Host esxat003gum0001.anzguam.com running workloads other than VCSA alone or with PSC while undergoing HCI configuration is not supported" and I cannot find any reference to figure that out. What am I missing to setup a 2-node vSan cluster?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you can install ESXi it give it a try.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@jim77 The Witness should not be running as a VM on a host in the cluster it is Witness to - that is unsupported and can result in a number of serious issues and the data wouldn't really act like normal FTT=1.

The Witness should be added to vCenter inventory as a standalone host or a different vSphere cluster by itself, it should not be added as a host to the cluster with the other nodes and shouldn't be processed using Quickstart.

If this is a homelab and you don't care about reliability/redundancy here then just configure the cluster without Quickstart. If this is a real environment expected to run workloads then stop and re-assess what you are doing here.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

A 2-node cluster is in real a 2+1 where the one is a virtual ESXi which save a license and needs to be placed in the cloud, or  in a HQ when youre a robo or in another cluster or stand alone host in your environment.

Regards,
Joerg

jim77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. That's my issue. How to deploy the vSan witness into as a standalone host. I have 2 ESX servers and attempting to deploy from either one results in the witness appliance being part of the vSan cluster or not deployable.

How do I deploy the witness as standalone?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

"ON" a standalone host not "as".

You need an extra ESXi (free version will work) or deploy the witness in the cloud.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
jim77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks... Since the ESXi host is only supporting the witness server, it can be a fairly light server, correct? Would a workstation/desktop work?

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you can install ESXi it give it a try.

0 Kudos
jim77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! I'll revert if I have any difficulties with this. But it really makes sense and explains a lot. I think they need to a bit better job explaining that you'll need a 3rd ESXi server to deploy the witness--but maybe that's obvious to you experienced folks... 🙂

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Well.... this very special 2-node setup comes way later and it starts with 3-node as minimum.

We pray for god that every customer agree to start with 4 nodes and not the bare minimum of 3. Reason is that we are like to able to do a full data evacuation when a host went into maintenance mode.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos