VMware Cloud Community
MaxDC2
Contributor
Contributor

How to build a fault tolerant environment with two data centers

Hi,

first of all, apologize my rusty english.

I am new to the VSAN material and wonder how to build a ha cluster with ftt 1 for two data centers. I would like to know which ESXi-hosts "belong" together to the same data center.The data centers are separated from each other 200 meters. Sizings for compute and san results in a minimum of two hosts for all vms. Now i guess tow add. hosts for ha purposes should be enough. How will the two add. hosts will be declared as the "ha" counter parts of the two base hosts?

I´ve read something about fault domains. Are fault domains part of the base vsan license?

Is it allowd to use a netto capacity of 12TB in the base license?

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I understand correctly, you may want to explore vSAN stretched cluster to provide HA between sites.

Info:

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/stretched_clusters_and_v...

Storage and Availability Technical Documents

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Fault Domains are part of the standard license, but the problem you will have is that you need a minimum of 3 fault domains for vSAN. Physically you only have 2. The other option is a Stretched Cluster, but you need the enterprise license for it, and you will still need a 3rd fault domain for the witness.

0 Kudos