VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert

How can find which disk need to replace through vsandevicemonitord.log file

According to this doc  :   https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2148358

If a "dying" disk belongs to a deduplication enabled diskgroup then the whole diskgroup would be marked unhealthy but after the required data evacuation, the vsandevicemonitord.log file will help you to determine which disks in the diskgroup were observed to have excessive I/O latencies.

Would you please say how can realize which disk need to replace through vsandevicemonitord.log ? What info had to find in this file ?

Would you please give an example ?

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
baber
Expert
Expert

Can anyone help me about it ?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

the KB article explains the log lines? the two lines mentioned in the KB have the identifier of the disk that would be causing the issue.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

No . but at the end of the KB mentioned If enable dedup and compression if one of disk fail all diskgroup will be unhealthy and from the vsandevicemonitord.log we can understand which disk has problem . now want to know what will be show in the log file about disk ?

it will be show disk ID or ..... ?

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@baber, It isn't always necessarily a DDH function/event that causes disk to be marked as offline, thus vsandevicemonitord.log won't always be informative of which disk - in that case (e.g. nothing in vsandevicemonitord.log) confirming which device from vmkernel.log via sense codes (e.g. 'H:0x1', or latter part '0x4' (hardware error) or '0x3 0x11' (UREs)), the vSphere Client alarms should show 'error occurred on disk' and indicate which actually encountered errors.

0 Kudos