VMware Cloud Community
tnhafiz
Contributor
Contributor

Host RAID for VSAN

Hi guys,

I need info from you. Currently my company planning to buy some servers to implement VSAN. When I check in the VSAN datasheet, the min requirement is 1 SSD and 1 HDD.

For HDD, what is the best RAID(0,1,5 or 10) configuration should I implement to get the best performance?

Thank you

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ramakrishnak
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VSAN recommends to use Passthrough mode (no RAID) controllers

ie the physical disks used for vsan should not have any raid configuration associated. if that is not the option then you can use RAID0

you can check the vmware vsan hcl to pick the right hardware (VMware Compatibility Guide: vsan)

Thanks

0 Kudos
tnhafiz
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean that I dont need to configure any RAID on the server?just insert HDDs and straightaway configure for VSAN?

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

That is correct.  The "RAID" in vSAN is Failures To Tolerate (FTT).  Let's take a small example of 1 SSD and 1 HDD each in a 3 node cluster.  You can have a max of FTT = 1.  A copy of the data will live on 2 of the hosts, and the third will have a witness.  You can now have a host fail and still have quorum to keep the VM running.  The way quorum operates is different between vSphere 5.5 and 6.  See Cormac's post:  VSAN 6.0 Part 1 – New quorum mechanism | CormacHogan.com

The only consideration of RAID in vSAN is whether or not to do passthrough  or RAID 0.  As the previous poster said, passthrough is preferred, but some cards will only support RAID 0.  I don't believe there are any performance differences.  However, if you have a card that only supports RAID 0, you should disable the cache.  If you can't disable the cache, you should move it to 100% read as you want the SSD layer doing the write cache.  The major difference is that when in RAID 0, a drive failure means you will have to down the server, remove the drive, replace the drive, create a new RAID 0 on the replacement drive, and then have vSAN reclaim the replacement drive.  When in passthrough, you can hot swap drives.

Hope that helps.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos