VMware Cloud Community
benj95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HomeLab: nested vSAN Cluster (I/O failures)

I wanted to set up a nested vSAN cluster on my single ESXi host as base test environment for a NSX environment and in the first moment the nested Cluster works great, but after 1-2 days some disks in the vSAN become a I/O failure and some of the virtual machine will become inaccessible.

vSAN_error.png

I’ve tested the scenario with different virtual machine settings and various vSphere versions (vSphere 6.7 and 7.0), even on another physical ESXi Host, but I have always the same result with the failure and the inaccessible virtual machine after a few days.

I have four virtual ESXI for the vSAN Cluster each with six vCPU, 16 GB ram, one network interface and four Disks (1x 32GB -> ESXI System, 1x 60GB -> vSAN Cache, 2x 260GB -> vSAN Capacity):

vSAN_topolgy.png

The only workaround that has helped is to regularly put the host into maintenance mode and restart it.

I know that the nested ESXI isn’t supported officially, but does anyone have the same problem and a solution for it or generally an idea what could help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I never seen the issue, and I have virtual labs running for weeks sometimes. It wouldn't surprise me though if you are running out of memory for vSAN as well by the way, 16GB is not a lot to run the hypervisor and vSAN on top of that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I never seen the issue, and I have virtual labs running for weeks sometimes. It wouldn't surprise me though if you are running out of memory for vSAN as well by the way, 16GB is not a lot to run the hypervisor and vSAN on top of that.

0 Kudos
benj95
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was the ram from the host, with 24GB the vSAN works now since 3 Weeks perfectly.

Thank you for the solution!

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos