VMware Cloud Community
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HCIbench - vdbench VMs doesn't boot

Hi VSAN Performance Team,

I’m currently trying to run HCIbench on a VSAN cluster and having some problems. Everything seems to be working fine up to the point after the vdbench VMs are deployed and configured. Opening the console they all are showing up with “Operating System not found”.

• The VDbench VMs are connected to a network segment  which has a DHCP server, which I know works as the Auto-Perf-Tool is picking an IP from this DHCP server on this segment.
  • I’m using the vdbench50403.zip file.
  • Validation passes on the ‘Performance Automation Tool Configuration Page’
  • The log in /opt/automation/logs shows up with the following:

Capture.JPG

• The Auto-Perf-Tool has 2 nics, one routable which I can access from my browser, and one connected to an isolated segment which has a DHCP server, where all the vdbench VMs also are connected to.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Per

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I managed to figure this one out. The auto-perf-tool seems to need direct access to the hosts, i.e. only access to the vCenter wasn't enough. In my environment the auto-perf-tool only had direct access to the vCenter which is dual homed and have access to the hosts on a separate management network. Changing the vCenter so it connects to the hosts on the same network as the one the auto-perf-tool is located solved the problem and the hcibench now works fine!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kuiliu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I met similar issue, and resolved by adding vc ip as nameserver in Auto Perf VM /etc/resolv.conf file

0 Kudos
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've tried adding the vCenter IP in the resolv.conf file but I still have the same problem. I tried deploying this in load of different permutation (such as different DHCP settings, network layouts and DNS settings) but always the same results (and the same error message in the log as indicated above). If someone has managed to get this to work, it would be great to get a list of the configuration items, how the network is set up, if static IP or DHCP are used on the auto-perf-tool, and how the DHCP server and detailed DHCP configuration etc.

Thanks

Per

0 Kudos
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I managed to figure this one out. The auto-perf-tool seems to need direct access to the hosts, i.e. only access to the vCenter wasn't enough. In my environment the auto-perf-tool only had direct access to the vCenter which is dual homed and have access to the hosts on a separate management network. Changing the vCenter so it connects to the hosts on the same network as the one the auto-perf-tool is located solved the problem and the hcibench now works fine!

0 Kudos