VMware Cloud Community
ahasan09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HA with VSAN enabled on same cluster

hi,

i have 4 hosts with VSAN enabled

what are the recommendations for enabling HA? what are the settings to be set ?

And do i configure the HA vmkernel on the same nics of the VSAN ?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You should enable HA after vSAN is enabled. If HA already is enabled, disable it before enabling vSAN.

When you enable HA after vSAN is enabled, HA will automatically use the vSAN network for heartbeats no matter which vmk you enabled HA for so I assume that means you could enable HA on the vSAN vmk.

There are a few things you should think about for HA especially around isolation. You should really ensure you only an IP on the vSAN network as the isolation address, i.e. you should set the following 2 advanced HA settings:

das.usedefaultisolationaddress = false

das.isolationaddress0 = <gateway on vSAN network>

Due to the alignment of HA and vSAN the recommendation is also to set the isolation response to 'power off'.

Thanks

Per

View solution in original post

4 Replies
perthorn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You should enable HA after vSAN is enabled. If HA already is enabled, disable it before enabling vSAN.

When you enable HA after vSAN is enabled, HA will automatically use the vSAN network for heartbeats no matter which vmk you enabled HA for so I assume that means you could enable HA on the vSAN vmk.

There are a few things you should think about for HA especially around isolation. You should really ensure you only an IP on the vSAN network as the isolation address, i.e. you should set the following 2 advanced HA settings:

das.usedefaultisolationaddress = false

das.isolationaddress0 = <gateway on vSAN network>

Due to the alignment of HA and vSAN the recommendation is also to set the isolation response to 'power off'.

Thanks

Per

depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

there's a whole blog on the topic to be found here as well: http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2014/05/vmware-virtual-san-vsphere-ha-recommendations.html

ahasan09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank u Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ahasan09
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank u Smiley Happy

0 Kudos