VMware Cloud Community
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

File system overhead on Esxi7

Hi to all,

i am runiing a project for Vsan ROBO, and have 2 sites at the moment ready for production..At the moment we have only a couple of test vms in the environment.

But i noticed that there is a huge amount of "File system overhead"  usage .

we dont have dedup and compression enabled snce Hybrid disk groups are used.

does anyone have a clue ? doi have start a case with vmware before we took those systems into production?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello bigslash

That is not an unusually high or 'huge amount' of space used for file system overhead considering the size of the datastore - this is documented as being 1% just for on-disk format aside from what is needed for dedupe (e.g. it will use some space for file system regardless of dedupe enabled or not):

Formatting Overhead Considerations | VMware® vSAN™ Design and Sizing Guide | VMware

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello bigslash

That is not an unusually high or 'huge amount' of space used for file system overhead considering the size of the datastore - this is documented as being 1% just for on-disk format aside from what is needed for dedupe (e.g. it will use some space for file system regardless of dedupe enabled or not):

Formatting Overhead Considerations | VMware® vSAN™ Design and Sizing Guide | VMware

Bob

0 Kudos
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot  for your answer

I thought it was proportional with the amount of data, so i was a ittle bir scared.

Yesterday i had created some more data, and increased the usage of the datastore, but the "File system Overhead "  didnt go beyond to much.

Just to inform if somebody else has this issue ,i am sendng this screenshot,which is after the data created .

0 Kudos
bigslash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos