VMware Cloud Community
mike-p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Extend 2-Node Stretched Cluster

Hi, i plan to expand an existing 2-node stretched cluster with 2 additional hosts to a 2+2+1 configuration. I did not find an official path or documentation of this extension.

Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@mike-p , it is the same process as expanding any stretched cluster - configure the hosts with vSAN network, add them to the vSphere cluster, put them in the existing Fault Domains and create Disk-Groups.

One thing to be aware of is licensing as while a 2+1 or 1+1+1 cluster only requires a vSAN Standard license, 2+2+1 or bigger requires vSAN Enterprise/Enterprise+ .

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@mike-p , it is the same process as expanding any stretched cluster - configure the hosts with vSAN network, add them to the vSphere cluster, put them in the existing Fault Domains and create Disk-Groups.

One thing to be aware of is licensing as while a 2+1 or 1+1+1 cluster only requires a vSAN Standard license, 2+2+1 or bigger requires vSAN Enterprise/Enterprise+ .

mike-p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, this information is exact what i am looking for.

Do you know if it ist ok if the added hosts are not exactly sized like the existing? I will use the same model but less memory and capacity.

Regards

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sure, that is all fully supported, both for vSAN as well as vSphere. But do keep in mind that from an operational perspective and a vSphere HA point of view it may complicate things.+

0 Kudos
mike-p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have only PFTT=1. On both sides will be the same resources availlable. Even if one of the larger hosts fails the access to a copy is accessible. What kind of problems can occur?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As long as you have the resources, and take in to consideration that the largest hosts can fail, than you are good 🙂

0 Kudos