VMware Cloud Community
cescarsega
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.0 EOL - PERC H710

Hi Everyone,

With ESXi 6 at it's EOL I wanted to see if anyone knows how to go about upgrading my PowerEdge R620 cluster from 6.0 to 6.5 with PERC H710P's in them. According to the hardware compatibility guide the I/O contoller is only supported up until 6.0 Update 3. Is there any way for VMware to re-evaluate this hardware's compatibility? It would be a shame to have my hardware out of compliance due to the I/O controller compatibility. Here is the compatibility page for the controller: 

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

beside I/O Controller being supported, also your other components like the hardware model, CPU, NIC, etc with their corresponding driver-, firmware-, and ESXi-version combination should be listed.

That being said, VMware does not evaluate hardware compatibility. The hardware vendor approaches VMware using dedicated channels to certify their hardware for their own driver and firmware, which e.g. requires to run a test suite and pass tests.

So you would need to reach out to your hardware vendor to either get a official written statement with approval it is supported or, even better, to start the certification process with us at VMware.

But as it appears to be a older model and ESXi 6.5 is Out-Of-General-Support in just October 2022, I honestly wouldn't have too much hope.

Regards,
Patrik