VMware Cloud Community
mdiazrivera
Contributor
Contributor

Doubt with training question

Hi guys,

I am coursing a VxRail training and I have doubts with this question.

A virtual distributed switch is configured with a default vSAN port group containing one active and one standby uplink. What is the process to configure vSAN traffic to be active on two uplinks?

• (A) Transfer the standby uplink to a second vSAN port group on the same virtual distributed switch, and make it active in the second port group.
  • (B) Transfer the standby uplink to a second vSAN port group on a second virtual distributed switch, and make it active on the second port group.
  • (C) Create a second virtual distributed switch using any unused uplinks and create a vSAN port group on the new virtual distributed switch.
  • (D) Edit the vSAN port group and change the Failover order for uplink.

What do you think is the correct one?. I think that it's the C option.

Many thanks in advance.

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is this from a VMware exam?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

While IMO none of these option fully explains how this can be done, I recommend that you read https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/vsan-703-network-design-guide.pdf which explains the different options.

André

TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@mdiazrivera Bit late response but the answer is D e.g. change the uplinks from Active/Standby to Active/Active - note (and out of scope for this exam I assume), in real-life this would likely require additional switch-side configurations in order to work properly.

0 Kudos
ManuelDB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey @TheBobkin , I have just noticed a discrepancy in VSAN documentation.

In the vSAN Network Design PDF, you can read this in page 32
"Route Based on Originating Virtual Port
In Active/Active or Active/Passive configurations, use Route based on originating virtual port for
basic NIC teaming"

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/vsan-703-network-design-guide.pdf

In Designing VSAN Network there is this

ManuelDB_0-1657182309198.png

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vsan-planning.doc/GUID-031F9637-EE2...

So one document says to use both Active/Passive and Active/Active (with Route Based on Originating Virtual Port) and the second one only Active/Passive.

From my experience, Active/Passive is much better (if you are NOT using LAG), because you avoid to jump from one switch to another one (usually on Active/Acitve the 2 uplinks are on different switches) and this could end in a tremendous performance impact (also this came from field experience with Aruba switches, that I will NEVER EVER suggest for VSAN).
Also using the Load Balancing based on network load will have the same problem, so it's better to avoid until you are absolutely sure that your switches uplinks are oversized.

0 Kudos