Contributor
Contributor

Does vsan prvovides the same IOPS capability as a all flash array

Does vsan prvovides the same IOPS capability as a all flash array

4 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Good morning, this is THE biggest it depends question.  What AFA are you comparing it to?  Xtremio?  Probably not.  Other solutions on the market?  Maybe.

Are you doing hybrid vSAN?  Probably not.  Are you doing hybrid vSAN with consumer SSD for the cache layer?  No way.  Are you doing AFA vSAN with enterprise level SSD for the cache layer?  Maybe.

Can vSAN do 2 million IOPS?  Sure.  How to Supercharge your Virtual SAN Cluster (2 Million IOPS!!!) - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
danielleitcs
Contributor
Contributor

You might find real user reviews of VMWare VSAN on IT Central Station to be helpful. This Principal Analyst wrote that VSAN has "taken up to four million IOPS. In terms of scalability, we haven't seen any roof, any limit, any ceiling to the scalability there." You can read the rest of his review, as well as explore what others have to say regarding VMware VSAN's IOPS capabilities, here: VMware Virtual SAN Review By Ritesh Kapadia, Principal | IT Central Station

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins

IMHO the biggest "it depends" is if VSAN gonna give the same IOPS in the real workload. I`ll explain a bit: all the blog posts and articles like "look at the huge IOPS that product can do" is based on the synthetic workload, that usually different from the real workload. I.e. in the benchmarking the workload may be presented by small sequential blocks, while in real production it will be presented by randoms.

So before going deeper into the benchmarking it is a good idea to know the workload that storage or shared storage should handle.

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Good afternoon, you can try I/O Analyzer – VMware Labs

It's an IOMeter appliance that allows you to replay some canned workloads back to see how the storage will handle it.  Or there is a way you can "record" your own real world IO and then replay it using the appliance.  I have done the first, not the latter.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos