VMware Cloud Community
mikew123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does vSAN support storage layer replication?

Hello,

I have read some documents about vSAN.

It seems a vSAN cluster can be a stretched cluster, and vMSC can run over such a vSAN stretched cluster.

While vSAN works with SRM, it seems only vSphere Replication is supported.

My question is: does SRM work with vSAN stretched cluster? (just like SRM works with array based stretched cluster). Or, in the context of SRM, does vSAN support storage layer replication? (just like array based replication)

Thanks a lot!

Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Mikew123,

Currently there is no async storage layer replication for vSAN. In vSAN stretched clusters, the data is written to both sides at the same time, hence the latency requirements. You have the option to have a primary FTT and secondary FTT for stretched clusters allocated via SPBM. To find more information please go to Storage and Availability Technical Documents  . You also have the option to use vSphere Replication with SRM for async replication and have SRM do the orchestration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tech0Addict
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

vSAN works with SRM only with vSphere replication . and yes you can work with streched cluster but this is not like storage layer replication.

0 Kudos
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Mikew123,

Currently there is no async storage layer replication for vSAN. In vSAN stretched clusters, the data is written to both sides at the same time, hence the latency requirements. You have the option to have a primary FTT and secondary FTT for stretched clusters allocated via SPBM. To find more information please go to Storage and Availability Technical Documents  . You also have the option to use vSphere Replication with SRM for async replication and have SRM do the orchestration.

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I second all of the above. Also for reference, these are the supported backup / replication solutions from Partners if you are looking for more information: VMware Compatibility Guide - vsanps

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
hkg2581
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@mikew123

I believe SRM+ABR (site recovery Manager + Array Based replication) works only with an External Storage . vSAN being one of the kernal Modules within vSAN , there is no necessity for another SRA (site recovery Adapter) to enable communication between vcenter/SRM with vSAN .Hence SRM is only supported with vsphere replication only for all vSAN VMs .

Please let me know if there were any further questions and your requirement for an SRA with vSAN .

Regards,

Hareesh K G

Thanks, Hareesh K G Personal Blog : http://virtuallysensei.com
0 Kudos