VMware Cloud Community
leosilvapaiola
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Design for vSphere and Horizon + vSAN

Hello community!

We have a customer asking for the best practices, regarding the hosts design for a vSphere and Horizon environments using vSAN for both scenarios.

The info we have is this:

- 20 to 25 VMs; which includes virtualized servers, some testing VMs and other production VMs that the client oftenly uses. This is what I called: the vSphere environment.

- 120 VDI; propbably are going to be named users with Windows Office requirements (nothing fancy there). This is what I called: the Horizon environment.

- Now both environments, we are thinking of using vSAN for the storage solution.

The question will be, regarding the physichal design for the hosts to be required for this solution, What would you recommend?

Searching around vmware's documents I've come to the conclusion that the best practices and best recommendation will be to separate both environments in different vSAN clusters.

For example: the first vSAN cluster (with 2 hosts) for the vSphere environment & the second cluster (with 2 more hosts) for the Horizon environment.

That will be a total of 4 hosts with 2 vSAN cluster (2 hosts each) in order to have vMotion capabilities in both enviroments.

Anyway, that's me thinking out loud. I really need some guidance and some best practices given past experiences.

Thanks beforehand.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The recommendation is to have separate environments for management and VDI. From the vSAN perspective, if you are going to do 2 node clusters, you will need a witness appliance for each vSAN cluster on a remote site or vCloudAir.

0 Kudos