VMware Cloud Community
rupeshj
Contributor
Contributor

Design Options

Good day all.

I was task to look at VSAN Solution for the development team and testing team.

Requirements are a followings:

Hosting is to done from South Africa.

Allow 100 developers access to Internal systems using VMware View from remote location (India).

Allow 80 testers access to QA / UAT system for testing from remote location (India).

Current VMware View solution is hosted on IBM blades.

The company has requested that this solution should scale.

Also we have hoping from free up the SAN for new production workloads.

Can VSAN performance meets the developers requirement? :smileymischief:

0 Kudos
3 Replies
joergriether
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hmmmm....i hope you don´t want to accomplish this task using blades 😉 because to be honest vsan is not the best idea for blade systems. Check also http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2014/03/18/vsan-spoken-reality/

Best regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
g_mulholland
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You haven't really mentioned any performance requirements. You've defined the number of users. In terms of that number, yes it will. We have customers deploying thousands of desktops on VSAN. Your main decision points will be around the View environment, full clones or linked clones, persistent, non-persistent etc. What IOPS requirement you would have for each desktop and what a scalable solution might look like in terms of the hardware to purchase.

You will also have to give thoughts to the network requirements from the remote locations and any sort of redundant architecture for View should you want to provide an 'available' solution. As Joerg mentioned, blades wont be really suitable here.

This kb article might give you some more things to consider too.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=207379...

Greg

0 Kudos
Ravi_V
Contributor
Contributor

I agree - it is better to use larger footprint systems that are independent of each other

0 Kudos