VMware Cloud Community
suhag79
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Dell PowerEdge M640 VRTX vSAN ready node ?

Hi all,

Can anyone please let me know if the Dell PowerEdge M640 VRTX (210-ALYK) is vSAN ready node ?  I can not find in https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/pdf/vi_vsan_rn_guide.pdf but still want to confirm as we got this from one of our vendor for vSAN solution.

Many Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The vxRAIL is a different approach and i call it "the survivor of the EvoRAIL disaster". :smileylaugh:

Your vSAN ReadyNode is a certified HW Bundle and you have to put on

- All licensing

- Deployment is putting all pieces together and install Software hand by hand

- Management/FW Update/Uprade Tasks

- (Some kind of easy scale)

vxRAIL

- Complete/Partitial lics included

- Deploeyment 15min (on paper and when the networking guy doesnt have made a mistake)

- One Update package of ESX/DRIVER/FW

- Other nodes need 9min for joining/setup

If you would like to stay at DellEMC you can also take a look to DellEMC XC (Nutanix).

The typical ReadyNode is a 1 or 2U 19" Rack Server in different T-Shirt sizes. I think the Naming scheme is the same for all other Vendors as well.

Regards,

Joerg

View solution in original post

6 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello suhag79​,

There are currently no 'M' (e.g. Modular) Dell Ready Nodes on the vSAN HCL so that would be a no - not had a look of whether this is in the works or not maybe ask your vendor if this is the case.

VMware Compatibility Guide - vsan

Bob

suhag79
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks TheBobkin

Have one doubt on VxRAIL as well. As per below URL, it is supported with VMware vSAN, However, unable to find in vSAN ready node...

Dell EMC VxRail Appliance - research and shop

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No its not a VSAN Ready Note. The M640P can hold 2 or max 4? HDDs.

Also the VRTX Chassis contains 1 very special RAID Controller called PERC8 Shared within a reduancy configuration. Is special purpose is to deliver a Virtual Disk from a RAIDGroup to more than one server.... up to 4. Its not a passtrough controller.

So its setup for up to 4 ESXi together with a shared SAS "SAN" and 10G networking. Not more... not less.

I have delivered half a dozen units to customers which runs vSphere in Branch Offices.

The FX2 with the older FC430 and FD332 where certified for vSAN and giving a nice 4 Node Chassis.

Regards,

Joerg

suhag79
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the details IRIX201110141

Can you also  check for VxRAIL as well. As per below URL, it is supported with VMware vSAN, However, unable to find in vSAN ready node...

Dell EMC VxRail Appliance - research and shop

0 Kudos
Vdiallstar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The M630 blade itself holds a special certification jointly by VMware & Dell but in an M1000E chassis. its niche and not the recommended platform for generic use. if you are looking at Blade archtiectures for vSAN ready i would suggest looking at FX2 otherwise VXRail G Series is great option.

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The vxRAIL is a different approach and i call it "the survivor of the EvoRAIL disaster". :smileylaugh:

Your vSAN ReadyNode is a certified HW Bundle and you have to put on

- All licensing

- Deployment is putting all pieces together and install Software hand by hand

- Management/FW Update/Uprade Tasks

- (Some kind of easy scale)

vxRAIL

- Complete/Partitial lics included

- Deploeyment 15min (on paper and when the networking guy doesnt have made a mistake)

- One Update package of ESX/DRIVER/FW

- Other nodes need 9min for joining/setup

If you would like to stay at DellEMC you can also take a look to DellEMC XC (Nutanix).

The typical ReadyNode is a 1 or 2U 19" Rack Server in different T-Shirt sizes. I think the Naming scheme is the same for all other Vendors as well.

Regards,

Joerg