VMware Cloud Community
shankarsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Datastore does not match current VM policy. Storage Fault has occurred

Hi

Need an help to setup VM storage policy of RAID5 with FTT=1 with dedup and compression enabled vSAN Datastore.

We have 6 hosts(7.0 U1)  in cluster with All Flash VSAN with vCenter  7.0 U2 (Dedup and compression enabled vSAN) .

When I m creating VM storage policy ,I selected below attributes where I can not see vSAN datastore under compatible  list and its shows under Incompatible .

As I can see message on VSAN datastore under incompatible list with “Datastore does not match current VM policy. Storage Fault has occurred “

Avavibility

Site disaster tolerance : None-stretched cluster

Failure to tolerance : 1 failure-RAID5(Erasure Coding)

Storage Rule

Encryption service : No preference

Space Efficiency : Deduplication and compression

Storage Tire: All Flash

So can please some one suggest /help me that can’t we enable dedup and compression on VM Storage Policy with RAID5 with FTT=1 with All Flash VSAN ?

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@shankarsingh , does the cluster have a vSAN Advanced or higher license applied?(this is a requirement for RAID5)

Do at least 4 nodes have Disk-Groups configured?

None of the nodes have been placed in Fault Domains?

Check if even a RAID1 or RAID0 Storage Policy shows as compliant to rule out a general SPS issue 

0 Kudos
kollishankar
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

Re-read this, "Site disaster tolerance : None-stretched cluster" - if this is a Stretched cluster (3+3+1) then you cannot use RAID5 (either as site local-only or RAID5+RAID5 mirrored) as this requires a minimum of 4 nodes in a single site/per site.

0 Kudos
shankarsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes we do have vSAN vSAN Advanced license.

Do at least 4 nodes have Disk-Groups configured? All 6 hosts have disks groups .Each hosts has 2 Disks groups 

None of the nodes have been placed in Fault Domains-NO ,Each host acts as standalone fault domain .However i just now created Fault Domain and added all 6 host in single Fault domain ,But still we have same issue.

We can create  RAID1 SP and can apply VM to RAID1.Even i can create RAID5 VM storage policy if i disable /select "No preference " in Storage Efficiency of policy .

Sorry Site disaster tolerance : None-Standard cluster (Not stretched cluster)

Thanks in advance for your help 

0 Kudos
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion

@shankarsingh , Please confirm whether this is a Stretched cluster or not - if it is then there *should* be 2 Fault Domains (each with 3 data-nodes) configured + Witness.

If this is the case then you cannot use RAID5 as a Storage Policy on either single site as each only has 3 nodes for component placement whereas RAID5 requires 4 nodes - by 'No preference' do you mean a policy that isn't pinned to one site? If so then that is basically going to be RAID5 across sites which would likely have poor performance and is very likely not what you want here.

0 Kudos
shankarsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bobkin, Thanks for your response and assistance so far.

It’s not stretched cluster .It's  6 Hosts in vSAN cluster with each standalone hosts/faulty domain .

0 Kudos
RichardNetherla
Contributor
Contributor

We experience the exact same issue, single site clutster deployment consisting out of 5 servers having 4 ssds in (one) diskgroup one cache, three capacity, no fault domains configured thus resulting in each host considered a fault domain.
We are able to create a raid 1 and raid 5 policy where the vsandatastore is compliant, but it is never compliant for compression or compression and dedup. We find it very annoying that there is no hint whatsoever in what might be the cause.

0 Kudos
vmjoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here 😞

6 fresh ESXi 7.0.2 hosts, two disk groups each (all-flash), have a RAID-6 policy in place which does not work properly. The vSAN datastore is even listed as incompatible for a RAID-1 policy. No fault domains configured (tested it also with 6 FDs configured, but deleted them again).

Oddly enough, when I create a VM or move the vCLS VMs onto vSAN, there's a warning about "Datastore does not match current policy", but it allows to do so, and under Skyline Health > Virtual Objects they are healthy with their RAID-6 policy!!

0 Kudos
vmjoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I re-created the cluster thrice (including wiping the disks, and moving hosts out of the cluster etc.), always ending up with the same situation: Performance Service is "enabled" on the vSAN Services pane, but not actually starting (fields Stats object health, Stats object UUID, Stats object storage policy and Compliance status are not populating with values).

The reason was the VMware vSphere Profile-Driven Storage Service in vCenter. Login to the vCSA VAMI page and restart the service. Wait a while and the Performance Service will be up and running, the problems disappear.

Alternatively, reboot vCenter (if you can afford to do so).

0 Kudos
shankarsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

Finally we logged case with Vmware Support and they said that

- We have confirmed that this is a normal behavior when using cluster prior to 7.0 Update 2.

- This is a new data service policy only supported with 7.0 U2 clusters and we have explicit check to prevent it to be used in 7.0 U1 clusters by returning incompatible status for 7.0 U1 cluster backed vSAN datastore.

- You should not use any policy containing encryption or space efficiency settings for cluster prior to 7.0 Update 2.

- In case of using ESXi 7.0 U1, we recommend to leave the encryption and space efficiency setting in storage rules tab as 'No Preference' and the deduplication/compression option will be normally working as expected.

Hope it helps you .

Alex88
Contributor
Contributor

Hello. We have the same issue with the cluster with ESXi 7 u2a.

We have stretched cluster (vSAN 4+4) +witness. I am unable to create RAID5 Policy-the vsan datastore shown as incompatibli.Very strange. With U2 there s need to specify storage tier as All Flash but the vsan datastore is listed as incompatbile. vSAN Skyline health is OK no warnings no errors.

So is there some workaround or solution to create RAID5 stretched policy? Please Help Please.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
arshad21dvmw
Contributor
Contributor

Can you check all the disk groups are have type " All-Flash" , including witness host? 

If witness host or any other host is shown as hybrid, mark the disk as All flash 

try this article below 

https://technology975818723.wordpress.com/2022/01/12/vsan-datastore-shown-as-incompatible-storage-fa...

0 Kudos