VMware Cloud Community
dand001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating a secondary vSAN Disk Group on the same Cluster?

Hello Guys,

i am creating a new Disk Group on a vSAN Cluster, all fine -in that way AF 2x2 120GIG SSD Intel 530gen

The Cache Tier is on the same Controller as the default vSANDatastore.

It seems not be possible to assign a new vSANDatastore to the same Cluster.

Creating them ist okay - but no new Datastore will be asked for?

Can U help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello dand001​,

Welcome to Communities.

Apologies but your query is immensely confusing - I will try to clarify what I can.

"2x2 120GIG SSD Intel 530gen"

These appear to be consumer-grade SSDs and are very unlikely to be on the vSAN HCL, thus I assume/hope this is a homelab - understand that this means YYMV and decent performance and/or stability are in no way assumed.

"The Cache Tier is on the same Controller as the default vSANDatastore."

This doesn't make much sense as vsanDatastore is not attached to a controller, here is a basic breakdown of the storage structure of vSAN and what it is composed of:

- Each node(host) contributing storage has 1 or more Disk-Groups.

- Each Disk-Group is composed of 1 Cache-tier device (SSD/NVMe) and 1-7 Capacity-tier devices (all of one type of HDD/SSD/NVMe).

- All Disk-Groups aggregate Capacity-tier storage is pooled to create the vsanDatastore which is accessible from all nodes in the cluster (e.g. 3 nodes each with 1xDG with 2x1TB HDDs as Capacity-tier = 6TB vsanDatastore).

"It seems not be possible to assign a new vSANDatastore to the same Cluster."

Each vSAN-enabled cluster can have exactly 1 vsanDatastore, please if you could attach or PM a screenshot or error message of what you are trying to do that is not working.

Bob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheBobkin
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hello dand001​,

Welcome to Communities.

Apologies but your query is immensely confusing - I will try to clarify what I can.

"2x2 120GIG SSD Intel 530gen"

These appear to be consumer-grade SSDs and are very unlikely to be on the vSAN HCL, thus I assume/hope this is a homelab - understand that this means YYMV and decent performance and/or stability are in no way assumed.

"The Cache Tier is on the same Controller as the default vSANDatastore."

This doesn't make much sense as vsanDatastore is not attached to a controller, here is a basic breakdown of the storage structure of vSAN and what it is composed of:

- Each node(host) contributing storage has 1 or more Disk-Groups.

- Each Disk-Group is composed of 1 Cache-tier device (SSD/NVMe) and 1-7 Capacity-tier devices (all of one type of HDD/SSD/NVMe).

- All Disk-Groups aggregate Capacity-tier storage is pooled to create the vsanDatastore which is accessible from all nodes in the cluster (e.g. 3 nodes each with 1xDG with 2x1TB HDDs as Capacity-tier = 6TB vsanDatastore).

"It seems not be possible to assign a new vSANDatastore to the same Cluster."

Each vSAN-enabled cluster can have exactly 1 vsanDatastore, please if you could attach or PM a screenshot or error message of what you are trying to do that is not working.

Bob

0 Kudos
dand001
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Bob,

yes it is a Homelab and your Answer made it clear to me. I thought i can attach another Cache Tier SSD and create an new vSANDatastore.

Thank you for advise.

0 Kudos