VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Change 1x Active Uplink to Standby for vSAN

Hi,

Current vSAN Distributed PortGroup has 2x Uplinks both Active

My understanding is that I can safely move Uplink 2 to Standby without any impact to the VM access to storage (Ultimately think its as if the nic went down so any traffic that was using Uplink 2 would instantly shift to Uplink 1). 

andvm_0-1647509478283.png

Reason is that I want to move vMotion traffic to use these 2x Uplinks also (but with inverse Active/Standby)

This would also be in line with the following where it states Active/Passive for Route based on originating virtual port

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/7.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vsan-planning.doc/GUID-031F9637-EE2...

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zeroboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If this was a question, yes, you can do it just like that. 👍

I would also recommend using NIOC on your Distributed Switch in favor of VSAN, if in case one port goes down and both share the same NIC, VSAN will still have more bandwidth over vMotion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zeroboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If this was a question, yes, you can do it just like that. 👍

I would also recommend using NIOC on your Distributed Switch in favor of VSAN, if in case one port goes down and both share the same NIC, VSAN will still have more bandwidth over vMotion.

0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks for confirming.

True was almost going to forget setting NIOC, will make a note and thanks for reminding

0 Kudos